Thursday, October 02, 2008

Crowded Building

Wednesday nights are busy at our church. My wife prepares an early (6pm) dinner meal for what we call “Dinner and a Devo.” We come together to eat and then enjoy a devotional message from our Preacher Don. We (elders) usually meet that night and our A-Capella Praise Team Praise Team practices as well.

Last night was especially busy as it was the first pickup night for our “Angel Food Ministry.” This is a nationwide ministry that provides inexpensive quality food for a family. I met one of our first “customers” just after finishing my “every other day 5K run.” I saw them (an elderly couple) pull up in our parking lot and they had that “where do you go to get this stuff look” on their faces. I introduced my (if you don’t like the upcoming image in your mind, recite the phrase “dead puppies” 3 times) dripping sweat self and asked them if they needed help. They told me they were here to pick up their “Angel Food purchase.” The elderly gentleman relayed his appreciation for this ministry and how hard it was for folks on a fixed income to make ends meet.

Then the “Via de Cristo” (http://www.hofvdc.org/) descended on our building. This is an interdenominational group that sponsors weekend getaways for men and women. The purpose of the weekend is to get a group of men or women away from distractions and to challenge and build them up spiritually. They use different church facilities for their weekends which begin on Thursday evenings and end Sunday afternoon. One of our members (Carl) is an active member of “Via de Cristo” handling most of their logistics for setting up in a church. They bring their own portable showers, banners, kitchen equipment, and the leadership that will teach classes and facilitate the weekend.

Carl told me that between the sponsors and the men attending the weekend, 45 different denominations would be represented. The fact that they are all coming together in our building when “we” as in Churches of Christ have been known for our sectarian spirit in the past, gives me hope for the future.

Barb and I are headed out to the Space Center this afternoon. One of our members works out there and is allowed to take 2 guests to a beach that lies on the Space Center Property. This beach is as close to what all beaches in Florida used to look like including a light house. We’re looking forward to gathering some sea shells for Barb’s Kindergarten Class. Have a good Thursday.

Comments:
I think I enjoyed working with other people putting the Angel Food boxes together more than getting the food. It was too much food for a single, picky, girl.

The steaks are great!
 
Terri - Thanks for the recomendation. I think Barb and I are going to try a box on the next go around. BTW - To me it would be real "Angel Food" if it came with Mexican Food.
 
Hey, some months it is Mexican Food, I have frozen burritos in my freezer right now. Try the steak boxes though...they are great!

All of this made me smile...I love to see buildings used and people "stretched"...and even elders sweat!!
 
djg - Mexican food! Say it ain't so. :) We will definitely buy a box of Angel Food now and I like steaks as well. It will be worth the “sweat.”
 
I guess I don't have a clue what Angel Food is all about because I thought it was food given away ... didn't know anyone could purchase it.

So you let your church building be used for things that ain't even English? I bet you don't even use the Authorized King James Bible there any more, do you? :)
 
Wonderful.
I it is always encouraging to see that other believers take time out of their busy week for God. I know for us our son has lots of home work, school events, and stuff on Wed. night like it was just another day of the week.
Angel food ministries are a great thing.
We did it once.
It was a blessing.
 
I often wish our churches would do more of something like that.....and wonder why we don't. I'm glad yours is doing it. God bless.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?