Saturday, September 06, 2008

Squirrel Rocking the Universe

I would like to state up front that I can’t be held responsible for this post as I hung out with thousands, and I mean thousands of mostly young people at (http://www.rocktheuniverse.com/?__source=ps.google.rtu&s_kwcid=rock%20the%20universe%7C1489419901) “Rock the Universe.” “RtU” is held every year at Universal Studios in Orlando. They invite Christian Bands to play in the park. Last night my “head-banging” part of my personality was appealed to by a band called “Skillet.” The lead singer talked about how the 80’s Contemporary Christian group, “Petra,” inspired him to become a Contemporary Christian artist.

I think the Newsboys were my favorite group of the night. When they sang “Blessed Be Your Name” they won my vote. That song for me has been “my theme” for the last few years. I find it interesting how “art” can imitate life and then there is the reverse.

Yes, if you call the movie, “Christmas Vacation,” art, then life last night was imitating art. We were standing on the corner of one of the streets in Universal Studios when 2 squirrels came down from a tree and ran in the middle of street. The street was filled with people, which prompted the squirrels to go in the only place they could go, between the legs of the mass of humanity they had decided to get squirrelly with.

In the midst of the commotion of people jumping, dodging, and some even attempting to catch the squirrels, someone (not me, I promise) yelled out one of the famous lines from the movie, “SQUIRREL!!!” And just like in the movie, despite out weighing and “out height-ing” these 2 little relatives of “Rocky,” the folks in the middle of the street started a mini-stampede. I loved it and I had a week that I needed someone to yell, “SQUIRREL!”

We’re heading back to RtU tonight so my office hours like last night, will be extended to 3am by the time we get home tonight. I know some of you may think this almost 50 year old is crazy but you know what, I like it when its crazy. So, I leave you with my battle cry tonight, “SQUIRREL!”

Comments:
Christmas vacation was my favorite of the vaction movies until Vegas vacation.

I am glad you had a great time.
Thank sor sharing it with us.

I hope you have a blessed Sunday!
 
I like squirrels! :)
 
Don't get it but have not seen the movie...guess I need to. I am glad you had a great time at Rock the Universe....seemed like David did as well.
 
Funny stuff! Josh and I were going somewhere the other day and saw some men working on a street drain ... we looked at each other and said, "***er's full." Christmas Vacation is one funny movie!
 
That story reminds me of Ray Steven's song, "The Mississippi Squirrel Revival." I lve the line, "They were jumping pews and shouting, Hallelujah!"

Maybe we need to plant one in church sometimes and see what happens! :)
 
I've seen the Newsboys once in concert and really enjoyed it. They're my favorite Christian band and "Blessed Be Your Name" is one of my favorite songs as well.

I've heard this is their last tour. True?
 
preacherman - Thanks for checking in.

Judy - They're my favorite animal in the Movie.

lauramay - You would love the movie.

Greg - Busted out laughing when I heard (again) that story again. I love the image of Cousin Eddy drinking a beer and standing outside in his bathrobe.

Keith - Now that's an idea.

Steve - The lead guy didn't say anyting along those lines. I hope not.
 
Too funny. But squirrels are just rodent rats with fuzzy tails.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?