Tuesday, September 30, 2008

"Run Forrest, Run" or "Run Pops, Run"

In commenting on yesterday’s post, Terri (of “That Girl” fame) (http://thatgirltl.wordpress.com/) gave me the encouraging admonition, “Run Forrest, Run.” I had decided to join my tremendously in shape son and his equally in shape 18 year old buddy, Zack, in an almost 5 mile run from Zack’s house in beautiful West Cocoa to our Church building on U.S.1. Yes, the correct “middle school term” for such thinking on my part would be “crack-head.” Nevertheless (line from the movie, “The Outlaw Josse Wales”) “I endeavored to persevere” with the task at hand.

We took off from Zack’s house and immediately the boys left me. There was no way I was going to be able to run their 18-year old pace. They were kind enough to stop about a half mile down and allow me to continue. It probably only took them about a mile to catch me and pass me up. For some reason the story of the “Tortoise and the Hare” came to mind. I was wondering if there would be enough course for the “effect” to take place.

As we crossed in front of “Wally World” I noticed the boys seem to be slowing down. I decided to see what “kick” I had left and by the time we turned on Michigan Ave heading for U.S.1 and our church building, I was gaining ground on them. There are 2 things about our run that I will cherish.

One was the look on their faces when they saw me catching up. Their looks of surprise was priceless. I almost started laughing and would have saved for the fact that I was oxygen deprived at this point. My other memory I’ll carry is Steven and Zack telling me in essence, “Not bad for an old man.” I love the word that Steven uses, “Pops.”

So for today, “Pops” is heading home, eating lunch with my bride, and taking a day off from running. Have a “Happy Non-Bailout Tuesday.”

Comments:
You rock!
 
As I mentioned on "That Girl's" blog (above) ... one of my more successful goals in life was to never, under any circumstances, become a runner! With the exception of 20 years calling basketball games, I have kept my pledge.
 
That is so funny.....I would have loved to see their faces as well.
 
I am with Greg....I can walk fast all day and an occasional sprint on the tennis courts...enough for me.

But whatever rocks your boat...Pops!
 
Good for you! :)
 
it's always refreshing when age matches youth.
 
Terri - I'll have to admit I felt pretty good about myself of course, in a humble sort of way.

Greg - You are today's "Mr. Consistent."

lauramay - It was worth the pain.

djg - I might need to change the name of my blog to "The Puffing Pops."

Judy - Thanks.

Randy - It is and those moments are fleeting the older we get.
 
Love this post, Pops! Way to go.

I'm SO not a runner, though. I think the last time I ran was in my sophomore year of high school when I was on the girls' basketball team. Then, I contracted "Mono" and had to drop out because I was so debilitated from the mononucleosis.

Sitting in front of a computer and/or reading is about as much exercise as I get!

Cheers!

Dee
 
Dee - Great to see you. Hope you're doing well and thanks for dropping by. Pops.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?