Friday, September 26, 2008

"Nome Sayin"

To "impress" my Middle School students yesterday, I decided to use some of their verbiage in introducing the topic of the day which was the wonderful world of "Subtracting Real Numbers." My opening statement went something like this, "Today we're going to be discussing the (sound familiar?) wonderful world of subtracting Real Numbers. As you all know, in this class (teen slang coming up) we try to "keep it real" as that's "the way I roll."

My students reactions varied from being impressed to being repulsed. I guess the repulsed ones were thinking, "Man, that just doesn't sound right coming out of a "geezer's" mouth." However, when I relayed this story to my son at dinner last night he was quite impressed, I think? He did smile and laugh at me. Do you think that constitutes "being impressed?" Any way, he decided to add another piece of teen slang to my repertoire.

He said, "Dad, if you really want to impressed your kids try this, "Nome sayin." Now I believe this is meant to convey the thought, "Do you know what I'm saying?" I think the first few times I said it, it sounded more like an ancient and dead language. It took me several, no, most of the night (yes, I can be some what "O.C.," "Nome sayin.") to quit saying the word "what" in between the "words" "nome" and "sayin."

So, there you have it. The majority of whatever energy I had left last night was spent trying to perfect a phrase that sounds more like a city in Vietnam. So, to keep it real and to give you a window as to how I roll during the week, I'll end this post. Nome sayin?

Comments:
"Nome sayin'" has been used by my family for years... I guess that's just the Alabama in us!

Another one from our family is "Time Deet".
 
.......makes me want to ask "jeet sompun that didn't agree with you?" Similar to that girl's comment!! :)
 
Iearya
 
To tag onto to Terri's comment, you Floridians crack us Southerners up!! Knowtamean?
 
I am sure your kids think you are "all that" and a bag of chips....


(I know its old, but so are my kids!)
 
You're the cat's meow, daddio!

Have a great weekend!

Bill Williams
 
Wilikers gang. You guys really talk groovy! Now go on witcha bad selves. I'm gonna chill out at ta crib! Cool!
 
That is so wicked good!
 
got it!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?