Monday, September 22, 2008

More Life Imitating Art

First, a Steven update. He had a good day yesterday as he attempts to make a spot on BCC’s Baseball Team. In yesterday’s double-header, he pinch-ran in the first game scoring a run. He played 4 innings in the second game going 1 for 2. He reached on an error and then had a strong hit down the 3rd baseline. He played 2nd-base and had one of those plays that makes you want to play the theme from ESPN’s Sportscenter. A ball was hit up the middle and Steven laid out in a dive backhanding the ball. He was able to rise up and gun the guy out at 2nd. It was a good day for Steve-o.

As for me, your “sleeping more / humble and lowly middle school teacher posing as an elder,” I had another one of those moments that reminded me of a movie. In the course of one of my Algebra classes, I asked one of my students a question. When they responded I answered, “Danke,” which I’m sure most of you recognize as German for “thank-you.” One of my students then said out loud, “Mr. Walker, why do you always try to sound like you’re from Australia.”

O.K. kids, can anybody guess which movie had a similar line/mistake uttered by it’s lead character?


Remember the scene in the movie, “Dumb and Dumber” when Jim Carey, early in the movie, is chauffeuring an obviously European woman to the airport? She says something to him and he detects her accent only to say something like, “Oh, you must be from Australia. You know, “Good day mate,” “Put another shrimp on the “bar-be.”

As it became obvious that this student was serious about his “Austria / Australia” mistake I had to ask, “Who is your Social Studies teacher.” I prayed for this teacher and his student over the weekend. Well, enough of that.

Good day mates.



Comments:
Glad Steven is doing good....I am so proud of him. He is a great kid!Now you teach mostly 8th graders...so they would not understand German...they are learning about the Colonies...now you need to pray for their 7th grade social studies teacher...that is the one that should have taught them that.
Ask them where the Atlantic Ocean is....I was surprised once when I asked this question and got the wrong answer. I then proceeded to drop my lesson for the day and went over some basic geographic information. I blame FCAT, social studies is always put on the back burner to teach FCAT subjects in lower grades.
 
Go Steven! :)
 
Good for Steven!!

It must be that Central Floridian wanna be Southern accent that confusing the poor math prodigy. :)

Above all else, don't leave any student behind.
 
It gets in the way when our lives always reminds of us a movie line...I am just glad I am not the only one....


Glad Steven is doing well!
 
Heh. G'day. We really ought to co-author a book about things students say. Award winner.
 
Sorry I haven't commented in so long, Cecil. But, then, you haven't written that many posts lately, either. Which I HAVE read and kept up with. Just not commenting.

Glad Steven is doing so well. Is he living at home and going to school or living on campus? If you've said, I've missed that part.

As for your class and funny lines in movies - I have not seen (nor will I most likely) "Dumb & Dumber," so won't comment. Except to say that it's not just students who don't know geography!

Ever watch Jay Leno when he's talking with people on the street and what all THEY don't know? It's hilarious, but in reality pretty sad. Pathetic, actually.

Have a great day, y'all!

Dee
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?