Friday, September 19, 2008

Kayaking Sideways

Been a few days since my last (10 to be exact) post. Hit a stretch that was much like my last Saturday night. 8 of us from church met at some boat loops on the Banana River Lagoon to kayak under the light of a full moon. Going out we battled a little bit of a head wind but nothing that was insurmountable. The river wasn’t white-capping so we felt safe and even remarked that we would have the wind at our backs on the return trip. Silly people we were.

We headed for the part of Cocoa Beach that borders the Banana River Lagoon. There are a multitude of canals that form what locals call “the Thousand Islands.” Not only are the 1K Islands a safe haven for kayaks and the like, they are a great place to encounter Manatees, dolphins, and the occasional jumping school of mullet.

As we came out of the 1K Islands making a loop in our journey, we had about a 2 mile paddle across open water. Much to our chagrin we discovered that the wind was not at our backs as we had hoped. Rather, it was now blowing “sideways” and the intensity had increased. With the waves causing our kayaks to pitch sideways as well as blowing us off our course for home, the intensity ratcheted up a bit. My frustration as I’m sure all of ours were, was having to work twice as hard to make half as much headway as we attempted to make it back to shore.

I won’t kid you in that there were a few times when my kayak almost rolled and I was starting to let little doubts enter my mind as to if we were going to make it back at all. Two things helped me. One, my buddy Bret paddled up beside me and we went at it together. The second was the bright light on top of the flag pole at our park. We could correct our course by keeping our gaze fixed on that bright light.

That’s how I made it through these past few days. I had good friends that hung in with me when I don’t thing I was very (here’s a new word) “hung-able” to hang in with. I also had God’s Word and the ability to praise Him in song that lifted my spirits. So, I think I’m back. Have a good weekend.

Comments:
Glad you're back.
 
way to hang in there...hope things are a little less sideways.
 
I was wondering where you were. We know how treacherous that body of water can be!
 
that girl - Thanks. It's been great to read about your good news.

djg - Getting less sideways if I could only sleep.

Greg - Isn't that the truth.
 
I have been praying for you. Felt like you were crosswise with something. Glad to see you back. Missed you.
 
Now I know why I have not signed up for the kayaking trips. Glad you did make it back.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?