Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Best Laid Plans

First, thanks for the prayers for Steven's wrist. It's a little better but still needs improving and thus, the title of today's post, "Best Laid Plans."

Steven's game was supposed to be on Wednesday. Nope, he called around 4:15 to say that his Coach had messed up on not only the time but the day of the game. My plans to go straight home and chill became a plan to meet Barb and drive down to Melbourne to see Steven play. Not that I'm complaining mind you.

So we get to BCC's field noticing that the rain "appears" to be moving away from the field. This was great as we were set to watch our son play in another Community College baseball game. Son then motions me over to the fence and tells me he's playing in the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th innings. Happy for son even though it was going to be a "long" evening or so we thought.

In my conversation with son, he asked me to get him a "Rock Star." Now, do any of you readers out there know what a "Rock Star" is other than Mick Jagger or Eddie Van Halen? Ah yes, its an energy drink. Well, knowing that the drive to the nearest store would kill some time and trying to be a good Dad to son, I graciously agreed to do this for my son. I informed wife and in-laws of my quest for a "Rock Star" and off I went.

I got out on the main highway when I encountered rain. Being the loving and wonderful companion that I am, I called my mate to tell her that rain was probably on the way. As you can imagine she was quite grateful.

A minute later as I was approaching the 7/11, a full out monsoon broke out with rain blowing side ways. I called wife back and the conversation went something like this:

Wonderful Husband: "Baby, you better hurry up. There's a monsoon on the way."
Wife: "!#**!"
Wonderful Husband: "Baby, you broke up. I'm trying to tell you that there's a
(for emphasis) "stinking" monsoon headed your way!"
Wife: "!#**!" "I know, I'm trying to gather everything up, keep from blowing over,
and avoid drowning because a "stinking monsoon" has come upon us. I'll call
back!"

Needless to say the game was canceled, we were soaked to the bone, and we headed back home. The blessing was that Steven's wrist will have another day to heal. Have a safe, happy, and dry Wednesday.

Comments:
Sounds very much like an afternoon when you and I were discussing deep theological issues and your Mate was trying to get groceries from the car to the house. Not that I want to bring up any memories that might create a problem on your end, you know!! Glad to know the ManChild has some more time for healing.

Josh always told his players during the season they were strictly NOT to do certain activities that are, by their very nature, prone to accidents and injuries. Surfing of any kind was on the list. Skateboarding was one of the top risks out here. But then driving down an LA freeway is pretty risky at times.

Dry out!!
 
........so, did Steven get his Rock Star?
 
Greg - Yes I do remember that conversation and hopefully my wife will not read your comment thus triggering an unwanted "anniversary effect" with me in the "dog house."

Judy - He did. He helped his drenched mother carry our chairs to the car.
 
God works in mischievous ways!
 
I remember a church retreat where a brother was LIVING on Rock Stars. At least until we ran out on Sunday and he slept through worship.
 
Those stinking monsoons will do it to you every time!

This post made me think of an old song that we never sing any more...one that I'm not recommending, either...it just made me think of that song that starts with the line...

Did you repent, fully repent...

Blessings,
Bill Williams
 
Does Barb read your blog? I was laughing so hard!!! I can just picture it...so did the wonderful husband get wet as well?

Glad Steven's wrist is better, did you ever get the Rock Star? I would think warm coffee would have been better when everyone was wet.
 
Terri - Oh yes he does!

Steve - Something funny about making it through a "church retreat" on "Rock Star." For some reason it reminds me of my favorite line from the movie, "Air Plane." "Looks like I picked a bad week to quit sniffing glue."

Bill - I did especially since I got soaked trying to get the boy a "Rock Star."

Laura - I think she does. Yes, as I told Bill I got soaked as well. For some reason I continued my quest for a "Rock Star" and got soaked in the process.
 
Hope all goes well with the wrist. Brandon's knee is bothering him again. MRI today (9-25-08) results next Tuesday. Glad you made it through the monsoon.
 
Did she really say all those things?
 
Keith - how was the MRI. Good to see you back.

Brady - You might say the inflection was there but I might have taken a little liberty with the !!**#!* on her part. I bet she was thinking !!**#!* when she realized there was no car to run to.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?