Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Surviving Fay With Sling Blade

We’re still here and we haven’t floated away due to Tropical Storm Fay, yet. My Father-in-law told me we had received 3 inches of rain although he thought the actual total was higher. He said when rain is blowing sideways (which it was at times yesterday) his electronic rain gauge won’t record it. Just 20 miles south of us on the coast, Satellite Beach, received 13 inches of rain in the last 24 hours! That was my greatest worry and for the moment, here in West Cocoa we’ve seemed to dodge that bullet, praise God.

Fay has been an unusual storm in 3 ways:
1. It’s track has confounded the forecasters.
2. It actually got stronger over land and that is unheard of in the science of tropical systems.
3. It maintained a well defined “eye wall” over land and being only a tropical storm. A well-defined eye wall is usually indicative of a powerful hurricane.

Fay’s eye is somewhat over us for the moment but the rain should start back up soon. We’re off from school again which sounds like a school teacher’s / student’s dream except when you think about having to give up some holidays to make them up.

We went over to some good friend's home last night for some "Tropical (basically anything chocalate) System comfort food." My fellow “Trek / 14 blisters / Deacon of Youth” companion, Bret, asked if we had seen the movie “Sling Blade” with Billy Bob Thornton? How about you bloggers? In honor of “another” first day of school courtesy of T.S. Fay, raise your hand if you’ve seen “Sling Blade?”

If you have then you’ll understand how I’m driving Barbara crazy when she asks me a question by answering “mmm huh.” I thought it was a great movie and I didn’t recognize Billy Bob Thornton in his title role. Definitely not a kid’s movie although a large portion of it is somewhat touchy feely except the beginning and the end.

Steven spent the night with his “New Orleans friend” Zack in a home on the River Road which runs along the Indian River. The owner, whom they cut the yard for, was out of town as worried about his wood floors. It was a good thing they were there as they called to say they were in the process of using duct tape and towel to battle some leaky windows.

Appreciate the prayers folks and hopefully Fay will move out of here today. God Bless.

Comments:
While I was watching the news this morning, I said a prayer for you. Glad to know you are ok. Hope it will all be over soon. Sharon (aka, Harleyrider)
 
Glad to hear y'all are still there,

havn't seen that movie,


take care!

I forgot that Mr ZZ was down there too! hope they still have thier heads above water! ;)
 
Sharon - Good to hear from you and thank you for the prayers. I still think of our times at Pepperdine with our little gang as being some of the best fun I've ever had.

jel - Thanks. A flash flood warning has been issued just south of us. Hope your friend is O.K.
 
Slingblade is one of the best movies EVER!

I use a lot of lines from that movie. It is one of about3 movies from which I can quote.

I get funny looks when I order "summa them french fried taters".
 
This is one storm full of rain and it is keeping us from school one more day. I know the kids are happy except for the fact they will have to make up those days. I am enjoying this time with Mark before he heads to OC, so it has been a true blessing to me.
 
CW, you know ZZ better then I do! I think? or is he Greg's friend?
 
that girl - I busted a gut when I read your "summa them french fried taters" comment. Or better said, "mmm huh."

lauramay - More time with Mark is certainly a serendipity.

jel - Sorry for the "senior moment" on my part. Do I know "Mr. ZZ?" Lets see, I've been doing Bible Camp with the guy for over 25 years. I didn't realize that's who you were talking about. I'll give him a call and let you know how he's doing. God bless.
 
Ain't got no gas in it. Um hm.

Peace.
 
I just seen red.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?