Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Next Step

This week has already been about many "next steps." At my school, many of us were talking about how we weathered T.S. Fay and what our next steps would be based on the amount of damage. Despite the fact that our rain totals in Cocoa were impressive, 20 inches, my colleagues who live in Merritt Island and Satellite Beach had to put up with 24 and 26 inches respectively. Some folks are still dealing with toilets that cannot be flushed and boil water alerts.

For my wife who is a "freak of nature" having taught Kindergarten for 28 years, she has had to endure the families of the children in her class who are facing their first "next step." Do you remember the "stress" of sending your kids to school, full time? For those of us who have grown kids or kids entering college, that "stress" almost seems laughable now. Of course, it isn't laughable when your child is going through it.

For me in a Middle School, it's the 7th Graders who are experiencing their "next step." I see my son in their eyes when he first came to our school after going to the same elementary school for 7 years. That next step was brought back to me when I was on my planning period standing in the hall between classes. I could see it in this boy's eyes for I've seen that look a 1000 times and in Greg's eyes as well. A look that says, "I'm lost!" He was in the wrong part of our building and needed to get to a different section. I started to tell him how to get there and then I thought about how I would have wanted my son to have been treated. So I said, "Come here buddy, I'll take you there." The relief in his eyes said he was going to make it through this "next step."

Steven starts his "next step" in baseball tomorrow. The Brevard Community College Baseball Team starts practice for it's Fall Season. All the Community Colleges in Florida play in a Fall "Wood Bat "League. Steven told me that he wants to try out for Short-stop. Baseball is his passion so keep him in your prayers as he continues to pursue his dream.

Our church takes it "next step" hopefully this coming Sunday. We're scheduled to be back in our renovated auditorium. As you guys know, we've been meeting in our Fellowship Room during 2 services, a-capella and instrumental. Our next step will involve worshipping in both modes in one service. We plan to start off with instrumental praise and then move into a period of a-capella worship.

To say that this will involve give and take from folks of both "worship persuasions" is a major understatement. But isn't that the beauty of the Christian Faith? God's Word is filled with give and take, unity, and not judging your brother. One only need read Mark 9:38 - 41, Acts 15, and Romans 14 to see these attributes and they are no less Biblical today than they were then.

So perhaps this coming Monday I'll be able to tell you of our church's next step. May all of our "next steps" bring us closer to Jesus.

Comments:
First steps are often scary steps, but can you imagine what we'd miss in life if we never ventured out with those first steps?

Blessings :)
 
Trey - so true and I for one do not like "first steps." My default program is routine, tradition, and the known. I have had to do some growing in these last few years.
 
Growth can be painful. We are having some growing pains in our church, although not the same ones. In many ways, it could be viewed as a merger, although not technically. There is still that fence, I think, with the SR folks on one side and the B folks on the other. One day the fence will come down!

Prayers and best wishes for Steven!
 
My last "next step" was huge and I'm still trying to navigate through it. I am very interested in how the service goes on Sunday (give me a call!) and just how many guest-spies you'll have from Rockledge.
 
You and your ministry is constantly in my prayers.
I know God has great plans for you!
Hope you are having a great week.
 
How exciting!

We had friends visit College this past Sunday. I sat there wondering how hard it was for them to worship a capella when they were so used to instruments. They're coming back Sunday so I guess it was okay.
 
Judy - No doubt that change or growth causes pain. We have to stretch whether it’s a company, school, church, or even our very bones. But we do know this, without change comes stagnation and death. I’ll take the growing pains over the latter any day.
Thanks for remembering Steven.

Greg - That's a phone call I'll have to make. I doubt we'll have any visitors and in some ways that's sad.

Kinney - That means a lot to me Brother. The same goes your way as well. God bless.

Steve - It really is and as to your friends don't worry my brother. If they are friends of you and Lisa, I'm sure that holds much more water with them than a style of worship.
 
I pray that these next steps will be steps in the right direction. I pray that your church family deals with this with love for one another. After getting to meet many of them, I don't think that's going to be a problem.
 
I'm like Greg. I'm curious. Hope to hear from you.
 
Praying for smooth steps.
 
Keith - You do have an interesting perspective since you've broken bread with us. All I can say that even as late as last night, the Holy Spirit is working through folks at our church on both sides of the "piano" and it is encouraging. I pray it continues.

Randy - Thanks Bro. I'll let all of you know how it goes next week.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?