Thursday, August 14, 2008

Lunch and Mr. Walker

I met up with Steven, his friend Zack, and Chad, our Youth Minister for Lunch yesterday. We ate at Kay's Barbecue Restaurant. Kay's has been around since I was in school. My Dad used to take me out to Kay's. Our conversation would usually center around school and sports. My Dad ate there so often that he would order by just saying, "The usual."

So it's special when I hook up with Steven at Kay's and it was a serendipity to have Zack and Chad there. Our conversation centered around church, college, the Olympics, and the upcoming "Rock (http://www.rocktheuniverse.com/?__source=ps.yahoo.rtu&s_kwcid=TC-2981-147126169022-S-32579695522) the Universe" being held over at Universal Studios in Orlando. I'm looking forward to the second night because "Third Day" and "Jars of Clay" will be the featured performers.

A little side note - I would ask that you keep Steven in your prayers as he prepares to play for Brevard Community College (BCC) in a Fall League. He's hoping to play well enough to earn a spot for the Spring.

I went to an inservice at Cocoa High today for all the District's Math Teachers. We have a new member in our department who was a student of mine back in the late 80's. She had called me "Mr. Walker" several times when I finally asked her to call me by my first name. She looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Mr. Walker, there is no way I'm going to be able to call you "Cecil."
I then did a "Kung Fu" flashback and remembered being a young teacher, teaching at a middle school that I had attended as a child. I too had become a colleague of some teachers that were my teachers when I was a student and I had the same problem. I told her there were worst things she could call me.

For me, it was one of those experiences that reminded me that I'm getting old. Anybody have some "BenGay?"

Comments:
When I moved to Cullman, I substituted at the elementary school and the principal was Mr. Miller. He later became the director of HR at the hospital where I worked. I told him that I would have to call him Mr. Miller.

I was able to start calling him Mr. Jim and finally got to Jim.
 
Mr. Walker -

I, uh, mean Cecil -

It's interesting how we get used to seeing someone in a certain context and then have a really hard time moving past that when things change. I'm the same way.

Dee

P. S. Prayers for Steven - as always!
 
I have a lot of good memories of meals at that place with your dad and, later, with great friends.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?