Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Keep the Prayers Coming

1:30am and the rain is still coming down. I now have a dripping leak in my gameroom ceiling as well as some wet carpet. If you're awake, we could use a "rain-stopping / Fay moving" prayer.

It's about 20 minutes past midnight and we're up to 13 inches of rain. Our road is almost covered and the water is starting up our yard. If you're awake or when you wake up, say a prayer to stop this rain and get Fay moving out of here. Thanks.


I wanted to thank everyone that has been praying for us as we continue to weather Tropical Storm Fay. Here in West Cocoa we had about 10 inches of rain but so far we’ve had no septic backups or major flooding. Unfortunately this is not the case for Cocoa, Merritt Island, Cocoa Beach, Satellite Beach, Melbourne, and Palm Bay.

Satellite Beach alone has received (http://www.wftv.com/news/17242588/detail.html) 24 inches of rain from Fay. There are about 50,000 homes that have had sewage backups into their homes. Fay is still moving extremely slow and at times is stationary. There are times when you “prefer” a hurricane, as they tend to move faster and drop less rain. Schools here in Brevard are closed again tomorrow for a third consecutive day and I wouldn’t be surprised if we miss Friday as well due to the flooding and schools being used by the Red Cross as shelters.

I went for a run during a lull in the rain. My usual route starts out at our church along U.S.1 and takes me down along the Indian River. For me, there is something cathartic about being out during a storm. I still remember driving with my Dad in 1979 during Hurricane David. I don’t remember any of our conversation but I do remember being with him, dodging debris as we took some food to some folks who were at the local newspaper. There was quite a bit of debris on the River Road as I ran so my thoughts went back to that night.

I was brought back to reality when I made my turn to head back to the church and was caught by a feeder band that was coming in from the ocean. Running in the rain is literally one of the coolest things you can do as far running conditions are concerned.

I’ll leave with that profound thought. Don’t forget the folks in South Brevard as well as us as another feeder band is headed our way.


Comments:
Been thinking about you, and praying, too..........
 
50,000 homes filled with you know what! Yummy! I'll take the earthquakes, thank you.
 
take care!
 
Part of my back yard is under water. The rain is still coming down. Water got in the garage but otherwise, inside seems to be okay.
 
Still praying. As bad as we need rain, I dont wish this for anyone. May God Bless your family & all the others.
 
I guess I'm going to have to ask you the same question I ask Brady all the time: From what were you running?
 
Been thinking about you guys and hope the anxiety (and the rain) is passed.
 
The good thing about a leaking roof is that while it's raining, you can't really do anything about it and when it's not raining it doesn't matter!
 
Cecil -

Been thinking about and praying for you guys. How are things today (Thursday about 2 p.m. Central Daylight time)?

Tom and I had water in our house in Slidell twice (in 1995 a foot of water, in 2001 4 inches of water) from excess rain, but neither time was it connected with a hurricane/tropical storm. Just LOTS of rain.

So, we can really empathize with you. Sorry to hear about the leak in your roof and the wet carpet. Hope it doesn't get any worse for you.

On another subject - Sling Blade is one of my favorite films. We first saw it (well, Tom fell asleep) when it came out on DVD and I started crying when he came in the lady's bedroom in the middle of the night wanting to be baptized. I was very moved by that.

I told Tom he HAD to see it all the way through, so we watched it again the next evening and I started crying at that scene again and the rest of the way through the movie.

I think that movie (bless Billy Bob Thornton's heart) is one of the best I've ever seen when it comes to what Christianity is all about and how we all should (must) look at things - and others - with God's love. I've always wanted to write about it since, but have never been able to find the words that the film conveys to me.

Hope to hear from you today!

Dee
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?