Saturday, August 16, 2008

How to Live Longer and How to Live

Would you like to know how to live longer? Ponce de Leon did and he ended up discovering Florida instead of the “Fountain of Youth.” Perhaps this is where the first “Florida Re-count” occurred? Well today on the way to school to get ready for the first day of school that might be interrupted by possibly Category 2 Hurricane Fay, I saw the following sign on the marquee of a Medical Equipment Rental company:

Sleep Apnea?
Want to live longer?
Try one of our CRAP Units.

I don’t know what “C.R.A.P.” stands for but when you read it at 50mph it looks like (no pun intended) “crap.” I called one of my good friends to tell him about the sign and he said, “Imagine how much longer you would live if you had one of their “good” units.”

Speaking of living, I’d like to share something with you that happened yesterday at my school. The State of Florida in their infinite wisdom sponsored a program of “teacher bonuses” tied to test scores called “M.A.P.” Now rewarding “high performing teachers” (HPT) sounds like a good idea, yes? That is until you have so many “HPT’s” that there isn’t enough money to go around. So our District did the most (WARNING – sarcasm approaching!) logical, fair, equitable, and expedient act one can do in such a situation, they put names into an “electronic hat” and chose the lucky recipients by lottery.

BTW – If you’re ever close to someone that mentions the idea of rewarding HPT’s instead of giving all teachers a pay raise, please feel free to slap the silliness right out of them, in love of course. Let me digress and give you one reason why. My lovely wife was a HPT. She had the test scores and the evaluation to qualify her as an HPT. She should have gotten 100 points out of 100 points except for one little detail. Despite the fact she had high test scores and words like excellent, exemplary, and high performing peppered throughout her evaluation, in the final summation paragraph her administrators accidentally left them out and thus, she ended up with 96 our of 100 points.

O.K., now to the good stuff. My Principal called the 23 teachers from our school that qualified up to him during a break in a Faculty Meeting. He told us 18 of us were chosen from the lottery. At that point we in unison asked him not to tell us who was lucky and who wasn’t. The discussion began – how are you going to feel if you’re one of the “unlucky 5?” We then discussed the possibility of pooling our funds after taxes and splitting them evenly 23 ways.

Sin Confession – I must admit that although I was somewhat leading the discussion there was a part of me saying, “May-Day, May-Day, what are you doing!!??”

We held a secret ballot vote with the understanding that unless it was a unanimous decision in the affirmative, we would let the chips fall where they may. The vote was held and family, it was a unanimous “Yes!” I have never been more proud of group of people. When our Principal told us who the unlucky 5 were, I wasn’t one of them but I felt very lucky, no, blessed, to work with a group of teachers such as we have at our school.

Now if we can avoid possible “Hurricane” Fay next week the circle of starting school will be complete.

Comments:
Cecil...that is great what your fellow workers did for the MAP money. Our principal told us individually throughout the day if we were one of the lucky ones. We too had a lot of teachers who qualified, but again, unsure how mnay did not get the money. I was one of the lucky ones. I am very proud of your group of workers, we did not get that chance to do what you did, but I would hope we would be that united. Some money is better than no money.
I am totally avoiding work I need to do for my class....so I guess I need to get back to work.
 
lauramay - Thanks. I know the feeling about going back to work. I've spent a few hours in my classroom today (Saturday) and I'll guess I'll have to come back. Can't seem to get my mind engaged.
 
We had a CPAP unit at the hospital where I used to work. I always read it as CRAP. It was difficult to have to do ads for them!
 
I have always been a very vocal opponent of teacher rewards. It's impossible to do equitably. That being said, the solution you guys came up with was great.

My prayers that the hurricane will turn away have much to do with the safety of everyone there...and a little to do with wanting to watch the Angels/Rays series that's supposed to start Monday.
 
That's great!! You guys rock.

We had something similar along the award lines for high performers. I don't believe it ever occurred to anybody to divvy up the loot. (There probably would have been some government regulation precluding it,anyway!)
:)

Prayers regarding Fay.........
 
Morning CW,


hope u and your wife have a great day!
 
Cecil -

That is really wonderful what your group did. Talk about Christian ethics!

Sounds just like the early Christians bringing all of their possessions together to be shared in common with all.

It also reminds me very much of some of the happenings in "The Dark Knight," which we just saw this weekend. The movie was definitely a look at not only pure good and evil, but also moral ambiguity and a lot of "gray" areas that we sometimes face - or think we do. In the end, I think it most of the time comes down to very hard decisions wherein we can either think of self or think of what is good for others, too, even above ourselves.

Dee
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?