Sunday, August 03, 2008

Highs and What Was That?

Update - The boys rolled in around 1a.m. safe, sound, and full of energy and stories. Out of those 4, I'm 2 and maybe a partial 3 for 4 this morning. Thank you for your prayers.


It has been an interesting week to say the least. I know many of you are old enough that you’ve experienced what we did this past week – the first trip of your child, away from you, on his own, for a long distance. For us this trip brings a lot of warm feelings and thankfulness to God to apparently see how some of our parenting seems to be coming to fruition in Steven. Then again you wonder just how much the Holy Spirit has moved in their lives and how much of it is just plain luck.

I’m sure all parents put a tremendous amount of faith in the investment of time dedicated to bringing up a child in the Lord. I’m also sure that as a friend of ours once put it, you expect a certain “return” on that investment. As the Scriptures say, “Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.” (Eph. 6:4) In other words, I’m sure for most Christian parents, there is a belief that their children will grow up to be faithful teens, young adults, and ultimately Christian parents themselves due to the degree we, their parents, insert them in the life of a church. Yet, we know there isn’t a direct correlation. The faith walk of a parent is not guaranteed to be transferred to a child for a variety of reasons.

So, I sit here in my living room at 8pm awaiting my child’s safe return after being in New Orleans for a week with Zack. They have been doing ministry at 18 that I only began to think about, perhaps when I turned 30. I know they are not perfect, they’ve never been. For that matter, neither have their parents. We didn’t do anything different as we raised them like countless other parents, even parents at our church, have done. As they return and go on with their lives I know they're going to mess up. I still do at almost 50.

But I’m thankful and grateful to God. I’ll even be more thankful when they drive up in my driveway in the wee hours of the morning. I know this thing called parenting isn’t an exact science and I’m not saying that we have it perfected by any stretch of the imagination. But my son is coming home after having committing himself to of all things, serving others in a distant city. He and Zack have given hope to a fellow church, touch the lives of prisoner’s family, and paid for a bunch of folks washing and drying while trying to lead them to the Kingdom.

I ask for a blessing from God on all of our parents and especially those of our teens. I’m convinced that there are many more at our church that stand on the threshold of doing the same kind of ministry that Zack and Steven have engaged in this week. Yet, while they stand on the threshold there is battle going on for their attention, their devotion, and ultimately their souls. I pray that in the coming days hearts will be opened, relationships restored, and ministry breaks out all over our church.

O.K, before I put this post to bed I have to share this with you. A good friend of mine at church loaned me his copy of the book, “A Walk in the Woods” by Bill Bryson. It is his story of hiking the Appalachian Trail. At one point on their hike, Bryson and his hiking buddy end up in a town in North Carolina to get a shower and wash their clothes. His friend makes the mistake of approaching a married woman to which her husband takes great offense. As Bryson’s friend is trying to make it back to their hotel safely, he tells Bryson, “Look, if I’m killed tell my brother-in-law that I buried $10,000 under his front porch.”

Bryson responds by saying, “You really buried $10,000 under your brother-in-law’s front porch?”

His friend answers, “No way, but he such a pain in the butt he deserves to think so.”

I know that has nothing to do with today’s post but when I read that line I laughed out loud at the dealership where I was getting Steven’s oil changed. Have a blessed day.


Comments:
I am so thankful to God for the hearts of Steven and Zack.......and for the parents who instilled in them a quest for service. May they always be as dedicated as they are now, even through the storms that will surely come as they do to us all. I pray they will continue to focus on the light of the world.
 
I know the anxiety of watching a child go off on a mission trip. Just after Jessica graduated from college, she left for a month-long mission trip to Ukraine and then a week in Turkey. An American in Turkey. I had to encourage her but there was a part of my heart that just didn't want her to do that! She takes groups down to Mexico on a monthly basis where they are building a medical clinic. Even though it's just across the border (and thankfully not in Tijuana), these days it's just not safe to be in Mexico. But their heart for the Lord outweighs any potential dangers they might face and I have to respect that.
 
Judy - Thanks and I echo your prayer.

Greg - Going overseas or in the other case, south of the border will certainly raise your parental level of concern. I'd like to think Steven had Jessica in mind when we went to the Big Easy.
 
Glad Steven and Zack are home safely.

This is a great post, Cecil. Parenting is certainly the most important job a person can have in this life (in my opinion).

I've always said that I considered being a good mother was by far the most important thing I could have ever done. I'm thrilled to say that all of my grown kids are wonderful, deeply spiritual Christians, with children of their own to raise now.

Keep up the good work, Cecil. Being a good parent is a life time job!

Cheers & Blessings to you all today!

Dee
 
So thankful the guys are home. I am looking forward to hearing the stories. I will admit when I read your blog last night....I was a little concern they were not home too. I guess since they are so part of this household, I motherhen them as well.
 
Dee - Thanks and I agree on the importance of being a Mom and parent for a lifetime as you say.

Lauramay - I know this will sound weird but, thanks for worry. I know Steve-o loves your family.
 
Glad to hear that they had a great time.
You and your family are always in my thoughts and prayers.
I pray you have a wonderful week.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?