Monday, August 11, 2008

Great News

In the State of Florida a student can earn what is referred to as a “Bright Futures (BFS) Scholarship” to any State University. The awarding of a BFS is based on a student’s GPA as well as test scores from the S.A.T. or the A.C.T. The BFS Steven was shooting for would pay 100% of tuition at a State Community College and 75% tuition at a 4-year University.

Steven had the grades but unfortunately missed by one point on the A.C.T. This necessitated in Steven having to take the A.C.T. again during the Summer which he did. His scores came in and then we had to wait for the State to respond. When we didn’t get a response we assumed that he hadn’t qualified. To say that he was disappointed being an Honor Grad without a scholarship as well as our wallet receiving a hit would be an understatement. But as our Youth Minister is so fond of saying, the Tomb is empty to which we gave the praise to God and pushed on.

Today was the first day of pre-planning for teachers which is usually filled with meetings. I wasn’t able to get to my computer until after lunch. I then began the process of deleting almost 200 emails that had piled in over the summer including the ones telling me that my email mailbox was over the limit.

I was about half way through the emails and came very close to deleting this one:

Florida Department of Education

STEVEN E WALKER

July 24, 2008

4601 SOUTH FRIDAY CIRCLE

COCOA , FL 32926


Dear Mr. Walker:

Congratulations! You have met academic eligibility for the award(s) listed below under the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program for the 2008-09 academic year. Because you may receive funding for only one award, the highest award (indicated by an asterisk) has been selected for you. If you believe your scholarship eligibility status is not correct, please contact your high school guidance counselor immediately.


* Florida Medallion Scholars award

I read this email probably no less than 5 times before I began to believe my eyes. Our rejoicing is no doubt due to the effect it will have on our cost of college tuition but more importantly we rejoice with Steven. He worked hard, persevered, and in our opinion, deserved it.

Thought I’d share our happy news with everyone. God bless.


Comments:
Congratulations! That would be a great email to get!
 
Yay-y-y-y-y! Congratulations, Steven. That's our boy.......

:)
 
I'll be keeping in my prayers.
 
Terri - Thanks and it was in fact, I was still "whooping" it up on my 3 mile run yesterday.

Judy - Thanks and yes he is.

preacherman - Thanks and we can still use them. God bless.
 
Cecil -

I'm very happy to hear about Steven's scholarship award. I know from my own experience with higher education how much such awards help. They can mean the difference between being able to go to school or not in some cases. In my case, they did TWICE, both in undergraduate and in law school.

Praise God for the great news, indeed!

Dee
 
Dee - Thanks and if anyone would know you certainly would. I have enjoyed your story about Law School. I would be proud if my son was only half as successful as you were in Law School.

If you haven't read Dee's story please do so.
 
This is so wonderful...he earned it and he deserves it. You should be a proud daddy.
 
lauramay - Thanks. It was music to this teacher's ears to hear the lady at Financial Aid say, "You don't owe anything Mr. Walker."

Of course as you know, there are the books!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?