Thursday, August 28, 2008

First Days of College Baseball

Just got off the phone with my son. He just finished his second day of Community College Baseball practice. He described his first day as “being all over the place.” When I asked him to explain he said that at one point, the Head Coach kicked him out of the infield with a comment along the lines of, “You’re terrible. You can’t field a ground ball.”

Then a few minutes later he was “invited” back into the infield and after practice the Coach told him, “Great practice today.” This morning Steven showed me an email from the coach that was sent to the entire team. In so many words it said, “I’m crazy but you’ll get used to it. Good practice. See you tonight.”

For some reason it reminded me of a scene from the movie, “Remember the Titans.” The team is at the Training Camp at Gettysburg College. At one of the first meals in the Cafeteria, Coach Boone asks for a volunteer to stand up and say something about his (opposite race) roommate. The large white offensive lineman, Louie Lastik, is the first to volunteer and is quite animated as he talks about “Rev.” Coach comments by saying, “I like a self-aware man.” I guess in some ways Steven’s Coach by virtue of his email is a “self-aware man.”

At the second practice Steven said he hit the ball well with one ball hitting the fence. He said later on the Head Coach yelled over in his direction and said, “Hey, there’s something about you I like.” Steven wasn’t quite sure the comment was directed at him so he asked the Coach, “Coach, are you talking to me.” The Coach answered and referenced his high school of origin, “Yeah “Cocoa,” I’m talking to you.”

So, we seem to be off to a good start but we all know how the fortunes of baseball can change on a dime. Or in this case, change on a slump or what ever.

Hey, how would it go over with my flock if I screamed at the church, kicked them out of the building, and then invited them back in? Of course I would send them an apologetic email.

What do you think? An Elder who is a loose cannon. Makes me want to say, “Go ahead church member, make my day.”

Have a good one folks and remember Dee and all the folks in the firing line of Hurricane Gustav.


Comments:
My guess is that Steven's coach is crazy like a fox. I wouldn't discount that possibility anyway.

Why would you as an elder want to act like this guy? Isn't that the preacher's job?

I'm with you in remembering Dee and all the folks in harm's way.

Love ya, brother!

-bill
my blog
 
Be sure and keep us updated on Steven's progress with this guy!

Am certainly remembering Dee and everybody else on the Gulf Coast.

I don't know; maybe it's the hour. I woke up at something around 4 a.m. and couldn't go back to sleep. Your comment about acting like the coach, as an elder in the church, brought to mind God and the children of Israel. I've been amazed, again, how many words of warning He issued to them before He finally "kicked them out" of their country (deservedly), all the while reassuring them with great love and compassion that He would bring them back and protect them.

Steven is often in my thoughts and prayers.............
 
Bill - This guy has been coaching at BCC for 20-something years and has sent many players on to 4 year Universities as well as the Pros so I'm inclined to agree with you.

It's 6am and I just bust out laughing at your "elder / preacher behavior" comment. True :)

Judy - Your 4am thoughts and prayers are good and appreciated. The notion that God or Jesus wasn't or couldn't get tough when needed isn't Biblical. Good thought.
 
I was thinking the same thing you were. I wondered how well it would go if I yelled at people, "Hey, you're not singing on key. Go sit in the basement for a while."

Pulling stunts like that, I can't see me being welcome around here very long.

I'm sure Steven will continue to win over the crazy coach. I'm anxious to hear more updates.

I'm beginning to really hate hurricanes, and I'm not even around them.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
That idea almost makes me want to be an elder! I hope Steven makes the team ... it's your blog cash cow according to a certain preacher in Stockton, CA! But I hope he makes the team for far more reasons that this! His athletic skills have amazed us since he started walking and could out-dribble you or me with a basketball!
 
I'm glad to hear the coach has had some success. Doesn't sound like my kind of coach right off the bat.

Why can't everyone be like Mike Scioscia??
 
So...the Cocoa boy has a crazy coach...he can handle it, he is a West Cocoa Boy!!! I hear some of his friend's parents are a tad bit crazy as well, or at least when she is waken at midnight.
I do not know Dee but I am praying for her and anyone else in the way of the storm.
 
Cecil,

I haven't been able to check in for a while, but I'm glad to hear your boy is still playing ball. You guys remain in my prayers even when I don't get to the blog.

Try to stay out of the storms.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?