Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Steven and Zack Visit Percy's Family

I want to thank everyone who commented, prayed for, and, or, read about Steven’s and Zack’s mission trip to New Orleans yesterday. They made the drive from the Cocoa Beach area to the Big Easy in 10 hours. I’m sure as I told someone they were “running in the lead car draft” on the way up. Zack’s Mom said she didn’t want but wouldn’t mind a speeding ticket as long as they were safe and no accidents.

They had promised Joyce Massey who I mentioned yesterday, that they would do something for her in New Orleans. Joyce is involved in continuing the ministry of her late husband, Jim Massey. (http://www.jimmassey.org/) She also has an active Prison Ministry. She has been ministering to a man named Percy. Percy is in Prison for murder. The circumstances of his conviction are shaky but that’s neither here nor there. Joyce has been with Percy every step of the way as he pursues parole, which he was most recently denied again.

Some of Percy’s family lives in New Orleans. Joyce had asked Steven and Zack if they got a chance, to try and visit them. She described them as sweet people who if somebody reached out to them, might start attending church. I’m probably not doing a good job of describing to you how much these folks mean to Joyce. I tell you what; let me allow Joyce to tell you through an email she sent me last night:

Dear Anne and Cecil (Barbara, too),

I just had the nicest surprise telephone call from Zack and Steven. THEY ARE WITH PERCY'S FAMILY! I did not expect that to happen till later in the week! I spoke with Percy's niece and she was so excited she could hardly talk. Zack (or Steven, I couldn't always tell which one I was speaking with) said they had just been hanging out there for the past hour or more. What "cool" young men they are! Percy will be so very happy over this news.

I don't have the Travis' email address; so if one of you has it, feel free to pass this on. For now...I am in love with two more wonderful young men who love God and are fearlessly serving Him.

What a wonderful evening for me!

Mom/Joyce

I have to tell you that Joyce’s email brought tears to our eyes. If Steven and Zack accomplish nothing else, their trip has been a success.

Have a good day family and please continue to keep Steven and Zack in your prayers.


Comments:
You're right ... that's a successful trip! The joy they brought to that family will only be fully known on the other side of eternity.
 
That is GREAT news, Cecil! Wow!

I know y'all are so proud of Steven and Zack and rightfully so. More importantly, God must be very proud of them, too!

Keep us informed about their Big Easy trip and continue telling us about the wilderness trek. I'm really enjoying it. (And waiting to hear what y'all ate during those days and nights. I mean, you must have really been burning the calories, but I don't know what kind of rations you were able to carry - or catch - such as in fish!)

Cheers & Blessings to you all today!

Dee
 
Greg - Amen. It was great to see Joyce so happy as well.

Dee - Thanks and I will. As far as Trek food, each meal was in a garbage bag and each of us had a meal. We were responsible for bringing the meal to the Crew Tent and then packing that meal's trash back to the cars. Most of our dinners consisted of Romen noodles sprinkled with some meat. Thankfully we had some tabasco sauce that liven things up a bit. We also had a variety of granola bars and the like.

Breakfast consisted of dry cereal, hot chocolate, and one day we had pancakes. Lunch was usually on the trail and consisted of some kind of bars.

Our guides were very insistent about all of us eating and drinking. It was the key to warding off altitude sickness.
 
I am soooo proud of Steven and Zach, I know Miss Joyce had to feel so much joy for these boys to think of Percy's family.

Food on the trek sounds interesting. I did hear about the altitude sickness, especially coming down the mountain.
 
Cool stuff. Glad to catch up on what all is going on there.

That IS success!
 
What a wonderful story! Continuing to pray for their safety, health and protection as they go about spreading the love of Jesus. I also pray for "much and everlasting good," but most of all, I pray the fire in Steven and Zack's hearts never goes out........
 
Lauramay - Thanks. That for me has been the highlight of their mission trip. Ah yes, the dreaded altitude sickness - it is to be avoided at all costs having had it myself back in 1979! Not fun.

Trey - He's back! Have you recovered from Bible Camp?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?