Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Thumbs Up

Well it was “thumbs up” for Steve-o this morning at the Doctor’s Office. His thumb has healed nicely and he’s been cleared to begin moving it. He was also cleared to go on our “Wilderness Trek” in Colorado in July. This particular “clearing” was a relief on many levels not the least of which was the “having already paid for the Trek and airfare” level. We are looking forward to some time with our youth group in the backcountry of Colorado.

I spent some of my summer vacations in the backcountry of Colorado during my junior and senior years in College. My last visit was in 1983 when Barb and I spent a couple of weeks backcountry hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park. I had always dreamed of taking my son to Colorado for the same experience and now it seems like it will come to fruition.

We celebrated Steven’s “thumbs up” with breakfast at a local “breakfast only” restaurant. We’re supposed to leave this coming Sunday for New Orleans with our youth group. We’re going to the (www.carrolltonavenuechurch.org) Carrollton Ave. Church of Christ which was right in the middle of the flood zone during Hurricane Katrina. According to Chad, our youth minister, the building just got running water a few weeks ago.

Funny thing at breakfast, Steven, Barb, and I were having a discussion about him going on the trip. He was hedging just a little when all of a sudden someone’s cell phone began to ring. Guess what the ringtone was – “When the Saints Come Marching In.” Steven smiled and said, “I guess I’m going.”

Can God work through a ringtone? Better yet, as Dave Stone of Southeast Christian Church said a couple of years ago during a lecture at the Pepperdine Bible Lectures, “I thought all you Church of Christ people would have your phones set to vibrate.”

I’ll leave on that (pun intended) note.


Comments:
I like that pun, Cecil. That was funny.

I've been keeping up with your blog posts, but haven't been commenting because I have to go through a long drawn-out procedure each time with Blogger, who has my password all screwed up. I have to re-set it each time I want to comment on Blogger anywhere. (Don't get me started.)

I'm glad Steven is doing well and will be able to go out to Colorado on your trip. That's great! Just don't get altitude sickness like I did. Drink lots of water before you go and when you get there. The high altitude and lack of oxygen takes the fluid out of you.

When you get to New Orleans this weekend, you are only going to be about 60 miles from US! You and Steven will have to take off work one evening to drive up to visit with us (and eat dinner with us on our "good" dishes!). I'll get Tom to throw something on the grill and we'll sit out on the back porch under the fan.

Cheers & Blessings to you all today!

Dee
 
Dee - 60 miles huh? I would love to hook up with you and Tom. Unfortunately my only wills will be our 31 passenger bus. Still, I'd love to hook up with a fellow blogger. I'll see what I can do.
BTW - An Uncle of mine once told Greg to "put up the silver and hide the fine china" in anticipation of a visit from us to Greg's. I promise to leave your "silver and fine china" alone if I make the visit.
 
Cecil,

Just checked out your blog after several months of transition in my life. Glad to hear things seem to be going well with you. I'll be checking back in more regularly now.

I'm back to a bit of blogging at newgenesis.wordpress.com

Grace to you, bro,

Ben
 
I think coC people can have ring tones so long as they are not religious songs!

Good news on the ManChild!
 
Ben - Great to have you back and I added you to my blog links.
 
So glad for Steven. Hope the Trek goes well. Say "hello" to Captain Kirk for me.;)
 
God can work through anything He wants to! :)

Good news about Steven. I'm so glad ya'll are getting to make this trip.

If you get to see John, give him a big hug for me!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?