Friday, June 13, 2008

Home and Soup

Today ended a 26th session of camp for me, the Puckster, and my wife. Last year Camp Ithiel felt most like a refuge. Don’t get me wrong; we had a great year of Camp last year. It was great to be at a Camp were the host Camp Staff was actually friendly, accommodating, and down right happy about us being there. It was a pleasant change. Despite all of that, “C.I.” felt more like a refuge than “home.” I suppose that comes with the territory of being someplace for the very first time.

This year, “CI” felt like home. The local Camp Staff were even more friendly, serving, and accommodating than last year and as I walked the campus, if felt more and more like home. It’s amazing how quickly one can establish traditions and customs. These traditions and customs give kids identity and security.

The Chapel at CI has now come to symbolize powerful, pointed, and, as their author, Pat Pugh, is so fond of saying, “keeping it real” lessons. One that sticks out in my mind is the one Pat did from Genesis 25:27 – 34.

27 The boys grew up, and Esau became a skillful hunter, a man of the open country, while Jacob was a quiet man, staying among the tents. 28 Isaac, who had a taste for wild game, loved Esau, but Rebekah loved Jacob.

29 Once when Jacob was cooking some stew, Esau came in from the open country, famished. 30 He said to Jacob, "Quick, let me have some of that red stew! I'm famished!" (That is why he was also called Edom. [g] )

31 Jacob replied, "First sell me your birthright."

32 "Look, I am about to die," Esau said. "What good is the birthright to me?"

33 But Jacob said, "Swear to me first." So he swore an oath to him, (emphasis mine) selling his birthright to Jacob.

34 Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and some lentil stew. He ate and drank, and then got up and left.
So Esau despised his birthright.

Pat brought out a point I had never considered. As deceiving as Jacob was, it was Esau that was willing to give up his birthright for nothing more than soup! Pat challenged our teens by asking them how often had they given up their long-term birthright in the Kingdom of God for soup? “Soup” that only satisfies for a few moments. He told our teens that they should filter everything they encounter and are tempted by, by asking, “Is this soup?” Because if it is, it will only satisfy for a moment and they we’ll be wanting for more soup.

I hope you had a great week. I know we did at Camp Ithiel. Please pray for Pat as he flies back to Cincinnati tomorrow. Also, pray for Steven has he takes another shot at the A.C.T. tomorrow as well.

God bless.


Comments:
Sounds like a lesson I could preach. I just might do that sometime.

I love camp and the atmosphere that surrounds it. Some of my fondest memories of Youth Ministry are of camp time. Glad you had a great time!!
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Having been involved in youth camps for over 20 years myself I think it's safe to say that the camp itself can be a "soup" that disappoints! I'm glad you found a better place to accommodate the needs of the Space Coast Encampment (do you still call it that?). In the past we both have lavished the same praises on CFBC that you now lavish upon CI. I hope Camp Ithiel continues to be better soup for you!!
 
Keith - Thanks Bro. If you want to give Pat a call sometime, let me know.

Greg - No, we don't anymore. BTW - When I think of "Camp," I think of it in the context of John 4 when Jesus says that worship will no longer be confined to a time or place.

After my experience of the last 4 years I have discovered that "Camp" and all the good that goes with it, can not be confined to one place. Should "CI" not work out in the future or whenever Steve or I retire, "Camp" will go on.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?