Monday, June 16, 2008

Camp Lines / Sunday Nights

First, I would ask for prayers for Steven. He goes back to the Orthopedic Doctor tomorrow and hopefully, he’ll get the cast off his thumb.

Our theme for last week’s Bible Camp was, “CSI – Christ Shaped Identity.” We started Camp by painting the outline of a body on the ground by the Bell Tower. We marked it off with Crime Scene tape and told the campers on Monday morning a crime, murder had been committed. Pat Pugh did a masterful job of conveying this to our campers that morning, in fact, maybe too masterful a job. Later that day, one of Steven’s Campers, a 9 year old boy, said the following concerning our “murder.”

“If there is one more murder at this camp, I’m calling my Mommy.”

Apparently he was able to tolerate one murder but two was going to be over his limit. Don’t worry; we were able to dial things back a bit so that our younger campers didn’t take things too literal.

The second line of camp came from ironically, his brother, an 11 year old. Through one of his fellow campers, he had discovered the wonderful world of “Cream Soda.” When it came time to have another one, this same camper refused to share with him for a second time, which caused him some distress. One of Steven’s fellow counselors happen to have 2 cream sodas so he told this little boy that he would share with him.

They went outside to share this mountain top experience. As the little boy opened his cream soda taking a sip, he held the can up to the Heavens and said,

“This cream soda solves all of my problems.”

How about you – does cream soda have the same effect?

One thing that has that effect on me is “fun.” I have a high need for fun. 2 weeks ago we started our 2 services format with Sunday School in between. This is due to our remodeling of the Auditorium, which is (http://cocoachurch.org/) underway. This is forcing us to meet in our Fellowship Room. O.K., you might be asking how this meets my need for fun. I can offer 2 reasons and apologies to my fellow preacher types:

1. Attending the first service means our preacher must end on time.

2. After attending Sunday School, we’re out the door by 10:30am!

How ever, this didn’t peg my fun meter. What did was our “Sunday Night Schedule.” You see, we don’t have Sunday night services but what we did have was a gathering of teens and adults at our Deacon of Youth’s home. They have a regulation size outdoor volleyball court. We engaged in several, yes, my shoulder is telling me, several games of volleyball followed by a meal of grilled hotdogs.

Barb claims I spent more time in the dirt than on my feet, hence the name, “Pig Pen.” We plan on trying to get together every Sunday night for volleyball fellowship.

Have a good day family and pass the Ben Gay.


Comments:
Chocolate would do that for me, except I can't have it any more! :) I guess the equivalent would be Pancho's or buying a new purse! When Doris wants to cheer me up, she takes me to Pancho's or shopping for a purse.......she knows me that well! I don't think I've ever had a cream soda......
 
Judy - Never had a cream soda? You must partake.
 
Great lines from kids!! They say the "dardest things."

Is Cream Soda on the Weight Watchers' list? Just curious. In know for a fact that chocolate chip cookies are. I saw you consume a few of those when we were in Cocoa.
 
Creme Soda is an excellent drink. Unfortunately, the diet version is not so good, so we stick w/ diet Dr. Pepper. AKA the "Lord's beverage" by my son.
 
No cream soda for me either...sounds a little fru-fru for me.

I can relate to your fun pain. I played three hours of tennis last night and don't really want to leave my chair this morning....
 
Maybe we should substitute grape juice for cream soda!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?