Saturday, May 10, 2008

Another Glimpse / More History

At around 5 today, Steven asked me to go to our High School field to hit him some grounders. For a guy who has been running a 5k every other day lately, hitting some grounders sounded like easy duty, yes? Well it wasn’t and I almost hate to admit the part that hurt the worst. I’ll give you a hint – think of “Allstate.” Yes, they were the “Good hands people” but as for me, let’s just say I belong with the “soft hands people.” Yes, blisters in several places after hitting 100 grounders to the boy.

The best part of the afternoon was being with Steven along with Ryan, Bret, and his brother Brian. They came down to the field and ended up throwing “BP” to each other. I took my blisters to the outfield and was able to use my “legs” to make a few plays for a 49-year-old guy.

I don’t know about all of you but as for me, I seem to know when my “mind’s eye” takes a snapshot that is going to make an indelible mark on my memory. Today that snap-shot consisted of looking through the backstop behind home-plate and seeing Steven’s name still written on our lineup board in the lead-off position. I don’t think I’ll ever forget that moment.

Speaking of history, we were speaking of history, yes? Any way, I want to progress to the very next game following the Winter Park Game. The next game was against another perennial 6A power from Orlando, University H.S. The good news was that Steven hit a leadoff home run against UHS. This gave him a “Tiger-slam” type “hitting for the cycle as he had hit a single, double, and a triple the night before.

The bad news was that we lost as our pitchers issued a veritable plethora of walks to UHS batters. Steven’s performance solidified his position as our leadoff batter. It was a good time and the beginning of much vindication for the previous 2 years of confidence shattering coaching. More to come. Thanks for reading.


Comments:
My daughter Britney is trying out for softball tomorrow and we went out to hit some. She ended up with some blisters of her own. She hasn't hit BP in about two years. Just pray for her to make it.
 
Keith - you got it Bro. May the rest of her blisters be on the ball as she tries out.
 
Those snapshots ARE precious, aren't they? I pretty much know when I've glimpsed one that will be a forever moment, too. I'm glad you've had so many with Steven...........
 
My hands would be eaten up too. Last time I was in the USA, I batted and batted until I'd pulled several muscles in my rib cage. Then, the next day, I batted some more.
 
I'm glad you had that moment and realized its significance, Cecil. Hold it close in your heart and treasure it!

Thanks for "another glimpse" and "more history."

Cheers & Blessings to you all today!

Dee
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?