Friday, March 28, 2008

Keeping It Real

Update - Although his 2 game slump wasn't one of the main causes of his "week," going 2 for 3 tonight with a single and RBI double that hit off the fence didn't hurt.

"Keeping it real" is one Pat Pugh's favorite sayings. Perhaps I've been guilty of not doing that here from time to time. Like a proud parent, I'm sure the percentage of times that I've shared with you when things were going good for me, my wife, or my son is significantly higher than when we've messed up. Let the word go out from here - We mess up! As Jeff Walling so eloquently puts it, "We need a "MESS-iah" because we're a MESS." So forgive me if I've given the false impression that our family or any one of us individually "has it all together." If I have, then I haven't been "Keeping it real."

Steven has had a tough week this week. Without going into detail I'll shut up and let him speak. I asked him permission to share this poem he wrote. It comes straight from the heart of young man who likes his father, can be a mess, and like his father, needs a "MESS-iah." God bless.

"Lord, first of all let me say
thank you for holding all this way.
I want to be a man for you
holding on to all I know is true.
I want to have my heart catch fire
but I cling to what my head desires.

How can I break this evil stage?
I need you Lord reveal to me your face.
I stretch my hand only for you to grab it
timid and scared I pull back with Satan's habit.

He's got a grasp I cannot break myself
and half the time I don't ask You for help.
My personalities changing and my light dims away
I'm drifting in the ocean as I feel cast away.

My prayer life time I'm slowly losing
as I gain wasteful time I find myself using.
I'm changing Lord and for the worse
Satan's got me like in some kind of curse.

A worldly person I start to become and reflect
rather than shining the light and evil I reject.
Numerous times have I bust out in sprint
but I've never tried running with a mindset of steady distance.

But there's hope in You and Your Word of Truth
Who cares if I'm only 17 years of youth.
I will not let anyone but You look down upon me
but rather set an example for strong or weak.

I'm not a perfect kid and nobody is
but I'm the person who strives for perfection only hit or miss.
I need full faith and I need to believe
I will not accomplish anything going half speed.

Give me the heart of a warrior for You
because your my hero and this battle we will not lose.
I'll end this poem and I'll end it like this
You are God and that's just the way it is.

Comments:
Is there anything more satisfying, as a parent, than to witness our kids developing their own faith in God?

Thanks for sharing that, and tell you son, thanks too!

http://benoverby.wordpress.com
 
I suspect as long as Steven has a heart to write like this, Satan is not going to win this battle. He is where Paul was in Romans 7:21 - ff ... a place in which we all find ourselves from time to time.
 
Thanks Steven. I thank God for his presence in your life.
 
Steven: You're looking to the right Source. No matter our age, we're all there with you, or have been, or will be again. Hang in there with Him, because He is most surely hanging in with you. Love and prayers.
 
Wonderful post.
Thank you for sharing this with us all.
I pray God will continue to bless every aspect of your life.
You have been such a blessing to my life as I read your blog daily.
Keep up the great posts.
I hope you have a blessed week.
In Him,
Kinney Mabry
Aka,
Preacherman! :-)
1 Tim 4:12
 
we've all seen (or see) ourselves in those words.
 
ben - No there isn't. It's better than seeing the boy hit 2 homeruns in one game which is what he did tonight.

Greg - Thanks. The true test of a warrior is the battle within for our hearts. I pray that all of us continue to battle the Evil One.

Brady - I do as well my Brother.

Judy - Thanks and you're so right, this is a "timeless / ageless" battle.

Tim - Thanks Brother.

Randy - No doubt.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?