Sunday, March 23, 2008

Affirmation

As my 18 straight years of attending the Pepperdine Lectures comes to an end this year, I am bolstered by what is taking place at our church here in Florida. This Sunday was especially memorable and it also sparked a couple of memories.

One of them took place when Steven was in Elementary School. We were visiting Greg (http://gregengland.com/) and the family at Long Beach. At the time we were worshipping at a church that was mired in a worship style that for us, was uninspiring. Greg knowing this, asked Steven to pick out the songs for the Sunday Worship that we were going to be present for. He picked out Praise Songs that we listened to on cassette from Ken Young and the Hallal Singers.

Before worship started Greg called Steven up to the front. He had Steven face the church as he stood behind him. With his hands on Steven’s shoulders, he told the Long Beach Church that Steven has picked out the songs they were to sing and that he rarely got to sing those songs back at this home church. Greg gave the church an admonition to join Steven in the joy of his worship and they did. That image of Greg standing behind Steven with his hands on his shoulders will always be emblazon in my brain. The only sadness of that day was the thought that such unabashed worship, led by the Praise Team at the Beach would never, ever happen at a church in Florida.

Lesson #1 – Never say “never” or “impossible” to God.

Fast forward to a decade later, specifically today, as I walked into our Auditorium our Praise (I still have to pinch myself when I say, think, or type this phrase) Team was practicing. It reminded me of the many times I enjoyed listening to the Long Beach Praise Team as they practiced in the morning before Worship. I couldn’t help standing in awe at how good our Praise Team is getting and at how God has brought the same kind of worship that I experienced for years at Long Beach to Cocoa. Praise to His Name.

We also had a brother come forward today who like many of us, is struggling. I felt led by what this brother said to our church to ask anyone who wanted, to come forward and along with me, lay our hands on this brother and pray for him. As a crowd of folks came forward, I moved up to the top of the stage and I received a “mountain top experience.”

As people were coming forward and trying to get close to this brother, they were (I’ll use a different name) whispering, “We love you John, we love you John.” As the crowd got larger to the point they couldn’t touch John, their affirmations, “We love you John,” kept waffling up like a sweet fragrance. Before I ever prayed I felt as if I was standing on Holy Ground.

As I said in my last post, if you are struggling in a church where you don’t see it getting any better or worse, in an “area” where you feel there is no hope for some of the things I described, do not lose hope. Dream big dreams, challenge your fears, speak up, pray, and believe that God can do what seems like the impossible. I’m living proof that he can.


Comments:
Just before going to bed on Sunday night, this post made my evening! Knowing first hand how the Central Church used to be for many years and what it's becoming is truly a story of grace.
 
I told our church family yesterday that John said the word became flesh and lived among us and we as the church have turned the flesh back into words. In other words we have used our "wordy preaching" and finely tuned arguments about all things theological to blunt the epic story of Jesus and his resurrection and how that power through his Holy Spirit makes the impossible possible.

Amen to your "mountaintop experience"! May God bring many more.

Peace.
 
I'm always touched and warmed by stories like this.
 
I am sorry that you weren't able to attend the Lectureships. I hear they are always great. Thank you for sharing your life and faith with us all. It very uplifting and encouraging to read your blog.
Keep up the great work brother.
In Him,
Kinney Mabry
 
you give me hope....but I am getting old....I wonder if I will ever see it..in my backwards town.
 
Great story. As someone who leads a Praise Team every Sunday, but has been around enough to see lots of uninspiring worship, I can relate to that story.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?