Monday, March 31, 2008

2 Homeruns

When I arrived at our field today I ran into one of our coaches. He isn't just any Coach. This Coach is the "Dean of Brevard County / Space Conference Baseball." He has coached since the 1970's and won 2 Class 5A State Baseball Championships in his career. He has coached untold numbers of kids that have gone on to play both College and Professional Baseball. "John" is also known (his words to me the other day) as a "straight shooter." Irregardless of how he feels about you as a parent, volunteer, and person, he will tell you if your kid has or doesn't have the skills to play at the next level.

At a work party (there's an oxymoron) at our field Saturday, John told me that Steven has the talent to play at the next level if he will only "keep his head screwed on straight." For Coach John, that means for Steven to practice his mantra of "middle / backside" when it comes to hitting.

John told me before today's game that he (he's taken an "Assistant Coaching" position to help our new former All-American / AAA Baseball Pitcher learn the nuances of coaching) "went to bat for Steven." Steven, who had started the year off as our lead-off hitter was now bouncing between the 7 and 8 hole as they say in baseball. Steven had a monster game this past Friday including a double that hit the top of the Space Coast Jr/Sr. High field fence.

Coach John petition the other coaches in starting Steven again in the leadoff spot. Coach John also told me that he told Steven, "I went to bat for you with "Coach Mike." You keep thinking middle/backside because if I see that long, looping homerun swing come back, you're going all the way down to the 9-hole in the hitting order."

How did Steven respond? At his first at-bat he launched one out of the park for a lead-off homerun. I saw Coach John congratulate him and then question him on his swing. The next at-bat he reached on an error. When he came up for the third time he hit another rocket over the leftfield fence. When it came time for this 4th at-bat the Head Coach pulled him out of the game. He told Steven that as former pitcher, he felt that Steven was headed for a date with a bean ball from the Pitcher. The Coach told him he didn't want to risk losing him for the rest of the Season.

Bottom line, it was good to see Steven make "Coach John" look like a genius. It was good to be both Dad and Announcer as I said, "That's Steven Walker's second home-run of the ball game for the Tigers."

Thanks for reading and once again, putting up with proud Papa. I only have 6 more regular season games to play that role.

Comments:
You'll always be the proud papa.
 
Great story ... enjoyed our phone visit earlier this evening.
 
You didn't say, ".........and that's MY boy!" ??? :)
 
don't you think you should open up and give us a chance to give him (and perhaps you) a nickname?
 
Thanks for the phone call and the update on the baseball rocker. Hope his "star" keeps burning bright.

Peace.
 
Awesome. I love the way you seem to squeeze everything out of those moments. Gibson starts his first year of actual baseball this year (t-ball last year) and first practice is tonight.
 
Go Steven. Looking forward to him playing college ball.
 
that girl - Your right.

Greg - Me too Bro.

Judy - Thanks.

Randy - Not a bad idea. I'm used to being called "U-da-Man" on the golf course so we'll have to leave that one out.

Puck - Me too Bro.

Josh - I have to, time is fleeting for this chapter in our lives before God opens up a new chapter. Just like the chapter is getting ready to open up for you - Enjoy every moment!

Keith - We're praying.
 
I agree about the nickname thing. I think it's time to Bermanize the boy.

How about Steven Walkoff?
 
Enjoy the ride and please keep sharing...I am reliving my boys sporting days through you...
 
Do you mean just six more games… At this level?

How good to get reassurance from the other coach. That is very encouraging.
 
How do you maintain your composure while announcing something like that? I'd be making a fool out of myself screaming and cheering!
 
As my son's mechine pitch coach I know how proud you are. I love baseball. Thank you for sharing this story with us. I hope you have a blessed week.
In Him,
Kinney Mabry
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?