Friday, February 01, 2008

The Streak is Broken

Now you might be thinking (if anyone is still reading) that the “streak” I’m referring to would be my current “blog-less streak.” In a manner of speaking, yes, that streak is broken by this post but I’m thinking of a much longer streak. By my “Jeffro type “ciphering”” I believe this particular streak was going on it’s 18th year. Yes ole fans of the “breeding ground of false (as an elder at a different church than mine once put it) teachers,” that would be the Pepperdine Bible Lectures. I’m not going this year for the first time in 18 years.

Why you ask? Anybody, anybody, O.K, I’ll do it myself, “Why Cecil are you breaking “the streak?” Basically it’s for my son and a little of me as well. Our youth group, of which Steven will be exiting at the end of this summer, is going on a “Wilderness Trek” in July in Colorado. 5 days of backcountry camping, hiking, and even repelling down a mountain and all of this for the “inexpensive” price of $700 each. I spent a couple of my college summers backcountry hiking and camping in Rocky Mountain National Park. To now have the chance to go back out while I still (I think) can and being down 40-something pounds thanks to Weight Watchers, I just couldn’t pass it up. It will be the last trip I take with Steven as a member of our youth group as well.

So, for any of you heading to Malibu for the lectures, please do the following for me:
1. Say hello to Jerry for me.
2. Hang out with Randy (are you going?) at the Malibu Fish Market.
3. Drive through Malibu Canyon and have some tri-tip at the Wood Ranch Restaurant.
4. Have some prayer time with some close friends at what we call “The Rock” on the Pepperdine Campus. Bonus points if you walk (no busses Greg!) from the Seaver Apartments to “The Rock.”
5. Enjoy the Lectures but don’t expect to see, well, I’ll keep the names of our fellow bloggers secret in an attempt to protect the innocent.
6. O.K. Greg, Randy, and Puck – skip a few lectures and just hang out. That was tough for me to type.
AND:
7. If you see any “false teachers breeding,” just repeat the phrase “dead puppies” to yourself three times to get the image out of your mind.

Comments:
Well, since you're missing Pepperdine and going to Colorado, maybe you can swing by and check up on John! :)

Repelling down a mountain?
 
I'm also skipping Pepperdine. I'll probably be at a WARM beach.
 
I think I will allow you to expound on "false teachers breeding" or will I? Maybe an inside joke? (Thats what I am going to tell myself) Either way, sounds interesting.
 
My streak of never going to the Lectureship continues this year. I did pick up a brochure for the first time though.

I have a plan. I will go someday. I have a plan.
 
I loved it last year meeting you guys and the tri-tip and everything....but I too am skipping this year.

Maybe I can do a bi-annual type of thing....
 
Does Greg know yet? He is really going to miss you, Cecil, I know.

But, going to Colorado will be fun for you and bring lots of memories.

Good luck.

Dee
 
Judy - I'm kind of counting on it and yes, repelling down a mountain. Should be fun, I think?

That Girl - O.K. - we'll catch you at the Wood Ranch next year.

cl - "False teachers breeding" was the favorite expression of an elder of mine when he referred to the Pepperdine Lectures. Funny thing, we never saw them or any one else breeding during lectureship week.

Steve - Alright, next year will be the charm for all of us.

djg - Same as Steve and you're on.

Dee - yes, he knows. For me, the highlight of the week was hanging with Greg and his family a couple of days before heading up to Malibu.
I am looking forward to Colorado and the trek. I sold my son on the trip when I showed him a picture from 1980 of his Dad sliding down a glacier in the backcountry of Rocky Mountain National Park.
 
By the way...

...tag.
 
I hope you realize you are MUCH older and heavier than you were in your college days!! I suppose that means you're NOT coming out to see us??
 
Well, it doesn't look like I'll get to go this year, either. There's still a slim possibility.

We might have to get together to commiserate and talk about Greg.

Blessings,
-bill
Spiritual Oasis Blog
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?