Thursday, February 14, 2008

Good News / Bad News / Good News

Hero! That’s right, in the space of 1 day the ever fickle fortune of baseball smiled upon Steven last night! Our game with Eau Gallie went 9 (normal length for H.S. ball is 7) innings last night. In the top of the 5th inning with a runner of 2nd, Steven hit a double bringing in the first run of the game. Eau Gallie came back and tied it up 1 to 1. At the end of the 7th inning the score was tied 2 to 2. Then in the top of the 9th and with 2 men aboard, Steven launched a 2 RBI triple into left center-field! It was a moment that this amateur / Dad / announcer had been waiting to say over the P.A., “..and Steven Walker drives in 2 go-ahead runs for the Tigers!” The smile on his face, the fist pumping, the coaches and players slapping him on the butt, well, you can’t put a price on experiences like that.

The best comment I heard was from a fellow Dad who said after the game, “I know why your son wears his uniform baggy. It hides the fact that he is so “jacked.” These guys have no idea how much power Steven has." Now for you folks who don’t speak the “Southern West Cocoa” dialect, “jacked” would mean "lots of muscles, strong, buffed out like." I don’t believe anyone has used the word “jacked” to ever describe me.

So, we’re in the 3rd place game today and then we fly out to Chattanooga tomorrow morning. Hopefully after a 2 hour drive we’ll hook up with our youth group and take in Winterfest. Have a good weekend family and feel free to use the term “jacked” when describing your favorite West Cocoa blogger.

I want to say thanks for the complements in my previous post about my weight loss. Knowing how the mind of our good friend the “Ex-Rev,” (http://gregengland.com/) works, I’m sure he would ask, “Will you do a blog when you gain the weight back?” I hope I don’t have to or as our WW Leader so often says, “Nothing tastes as good as thin feels.”

Now, I know all of you know the maddening effects of “good news / bad news.” I’ve heard some describe it’s effects in the analogy of seeing your Mother-in-law drive over the cliff in your new Lexus. Some we’ll go so far as to illustrate with a joke.

Imagine a German WW2 Prison Camp housing American prisoners. It’s been months and months without showers for our boys. Finally one morning at roll car, the Commandant announces, “Prisoners, I have good news and bad news. The good news is there will be a change of underwear for all American prisoners.”

Cheers go us from the POW’s. Then the Commandant says, “The bad news is that Prisoner number one will change underwear with Prisoner number two, Prisoner number two will change underwear with Prisoner number three, and so on.”

We had good news / good news / bad news / good news last night.
Good news: We were able to play our game last night.

Good News: Steven sacrificed in the go ahead run with a deep drive to center-field. Made the score 2 to 1.

Bad News: Steven was brought in to pitch in the 6th inning with the bases loaded and two outs. His first pitch although it was outside was left a bit too high. The six foot / 4 inch batter hit a backside grand-slam! With the wind blowing out of leftfield it was the only place in the ball park that a ball would fly out. To say that Steven was disappointed was an understatement. He ended up retiring the side and then retired Trinity in the 7th in order but the damage was down. It’s nice having a Coach who was a former pitcher. He told Steven to keep his head up. Pitchers know that sometimes the batter makes a better swing than your pitch. You have to forget it and move on. Hey, that sounds like good advice for life, yes?

As you could expect the boy was down when he came home. We tried to lighten things with a funny story about 2 of my students that I’ll post later and then one of my famous as I’ll call it now, a “No-No Vanilla Milk Shake.”

Oh, the good news, looks like we’ll fly out Saturday morning for the lovely berg of Chattanooga, Tennessee. We’ll arrive around 9am and then make the 2 hour drive to Gatlinburg to take in most of Winterfest, a first for Steven. We play again tonight. Have a good day family.

Comments:
Have fun at Winterfest. Another blogger from near here is going with her sons. Her name is Snapshot. Of course, that's not the name that she'll have on her namebadge!

When my brother used to pitch, it would make me so nervous, I couldn't watch. There's a lot of pressure on that #1 spot!
 
Prayers for a safe trip.

I've seen those pitches get hit. I've also seen mistakes get missed. Somehow the "it all evens out" argument is worthless though, if you're the guy who gave it up.
 
Hey, I'm not that impressed with your weightloss until I actually see you. For all I know, you could have trimmed your massive amounts of body fur and lost 50 pounds!!!

As for Steven ... that's part of being a pitcher, having to try and clean up the mess the guy before you allowed.
 
Look me up in Gatlinburg bro. We will be there too. Tough break for Steven, but who will count it in a hundred years?
 
that girl - Perhaps we should make an official "blog rule" that when we go to events like Winterfest with fellow bloggers, we have to wear and use our blog name?

Steve - It "even out" for us and Steven last night. See my "attachment" to this post.

Greg - Hey, I forgot about my "fur." I could have been at my goal weight week's ago with the use of a trimmer or weed wacker.

Keith - I'll be looking for you.
 
I choose to comment on the good news. :) Go Steven!! That's all I got to say about that. I can just hear you doing that announcement! I'll bet you would have been crying if you hadn't been so excited!

Have a great time this weekend. Too bad you're not getting any closer to Memphis!
 
Your change of underwear anecdote reminds of the time when you and Greg . . .
 
Hey, Randy, I thought we all agreed no one would EVER mention that again!
 
Sorry about the grand-slam.

Let me be the first to describe you as jacked . . . intellectually jacked. : )
 
Thanks for sharing this great post with us all.
I hope you have a great week!
 
Hey, Cecil -

I hope you and Steven (and the rest) had a great weekend after that good week you had (for the most part) before you left.

Drop by Finding Direction to see the photos when you have time. You might be surprised.

Much love,

Dee
 
Cecil: I have enjoyed catching up with your blog news. The games were exciting, though I'm sorry the game there ended in a loss. But would have loved to have seen that triple! And I congratulate you on your weight loss. That is very, very good. Ribs ARE good things.
 
Missing you, Cecil!

Much love,

Dee
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?