Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Goal / Rolling the Dice

The other night my lovely wife was looking at my blog. It was at that point that she made the following observation concerning my “Profile” –
“You’re not overweight anymore.”

This observation became officially true according to Weight Watchers last night at our church when I weighed in at 188lbs. I started my journey on September 18 which happens to be my birthday. I remember that night because I had their nasty WW Cake to celebrate my b/d. Earlier that night I had tipped the scales at 237lbs. Let’s do the math kids – that would be a loss of 49lbs in a little under 5 months. The last time I weighed in the 180’s, well, let’s just say that Michael Jackson had both his gloves, most of his nose, and looked like Michael Jackson. That would be the 1970’s for you “Generation What-evers.”

My next task is to stay under 189 for 6 weeks. If I do so, I become a lifetime / free (being the operative word) member of “WW.” I’ll have to share this with you since you’re reading the “skinny” on me. This past Saturday morning as I was stretching in bed, I ran my fingers down my side. I startled Barb when I said, “Ooh, what is that? Gross.” Barb turned over and looked at me, asking me if I was O.K.? When I told her I was feeling something weird on the sides of my body she rolled her eyes and said, “Show-off, those are your ribs!” I hadn’t felt those suckers since the early 70’s.

As good as my weight-loss feels I’m not too good at gambling. You see I rolled the dice financially a couple of weeks ago. Steven has never been to the huge youth rally held in Gatlinburg, TN called “Winterfest” due to baseball. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that the tournament we’re playing in ended with the Championship Game on this coming Friday. There are some tough teams in this tournament so I gambled; bought airline tickets ($39 each one way) for a direct flight from Orlando-Sanford Int. to Knoxville, TN for this coming Friday evening at 6:30pm. In a perfect world Steven would have played great as well as the rest of the team, but we would end up on the short end of the game tonight or tomorrow thus placing us in the 3rd or 5th place game on Thursday. This would free Steven and us to fly out on Friday hook up with our youth group in Gatlinburg, and then I could help drive the bus back on Sunday.

There was just one little kink – rain!!! Yes, our game was rained out today. I did purchase “insurance” on the tickets so I was able to switch them to a Saturday flight which would put us in Chattanooga, TN on Saturday morning at 9am. We would then make the drive to Gatlinburg. The change in tickets cost me an additional $100 total. Here is where I need your help if you wish:

1. I need prayers for no rain tomorrow or at least so little of it that we can play tomorrow’s game.
2. I’m not praying for a loss but I would like to fly out on Saturday morning.
3. As always, pray that Steven continues to do well at the plate, in the field, and on the mound.

Is this a selfish prayer in the grand scheme of things – you betcha. But nothing says I can’t ask. Oh the things we do for our kids.

Love you guys.

Comments:
Holla if you come through the ATL you've got my cell. BTW, congrats on your wife's statement, my whole family has been noticing that one of us has been getting lower than the overweight category, its a great feeling.
 
I'm so proud of you! Congratulations on getting your school-boy figure back.

If your prayer request is selfish, I pray selfishly every day! I believe God is involved and cares about every aspect of our lives, and I've prayed with you about this.
 
Thought of you Sunday. Had a nice guy from GA sitting behind us in church. We got to talking a bit about that neck of the woods. Made me think we'll still meet up sometime.

And I'm not nearly praying for no rain so much as I'm praying for Spring Training.
 
way to go on the weight loss...I am very impressed.

It is hard to pray to lose....but Okay...if you insist.
 
Wow bro. Great news on the WW thing. I've been doing "Zumba" to try to lose some weight this year and it is working, but a bit more slowly than your approach, but I am confident that "6 pack abs" are a mere 4 or 5 years away!

Our prayers are with you for the tournament and for the travel to Gatlinburg. Our group leaves tomorrow night by charter bus and Kelsey will be with them.

Peace.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?