Tuesday, February 05, 2008

First, since I was tagged by Steve (http://intentionalwalk.blogspot.com/) this past Friday, I will post my “tagged” results. As luck would have it I became aware of being “tagged” while I was at school. If the results give anyone an “anniversary type trauma” from their days in Algebra, my apologies. Here are the results:

Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more. (No cheating!)
Find Page 123.
Find the first 5 sentences.
Post the next 3 sentences.
Tag 5 people.

Algebra 1 textbook by Prentice Hall
P123
31. During the first 6 hours of a trip, you average 44mi/h. During the last 4 hours of your trip, you average 50mi/h. What is your average speed for the whole trip?

I’ll include the “hint” given:
(Hint: First find the total number of miles traveled.)

This comes from Chapter 2 / Section 7 on “Using Measures of Central Tendency.”


I’ll post the solution at the end of my blog. We have been playing a series of intra-squad games as we get ready for the season opener next Monday. We have a Pre-Season Tournament this week that starts on Thursday in Palm Bay.

Steven has been in a bit of a hitting slump during these games. He’s been hitting great in practice but for some reason he’s been whiffing during the games. Dad being Dad offered the following advice:

“Son, you have power but you need to be a consistent contact hitter. Don’t think about pulling the ball or hitting homeruns. Try to hit the ball up the middle / back side. Bottom line, it’s all in your head.”
Sound like good advice? I thought so. Did Steven listen to me? No.

He did go to our coaches and ask them for advice. He told me that sat with him for a half-hour, encouraging him, and giving basically the following advice:

“Son, you have power but you need to be a consistent contact hitter. Don’t think about pulling the ball or hitting homeruns. Try to hit the ball up the middle / back side. Bottom line, it’s all in your head.”
Sound familiar? Now, I’m not saying I’m a prophet but didn’t Jesus say something about a Prophet’s creditability and his hometown? Does that apply to sons and fathers as well?

The next game in his first at bat facing our number one guy, Steven laced one of the middle and drove in a run. The coaches were happy with him and affirmed his hit. The next time he got up he launched one out of the park and on to our track in left centerfield for a 2-run homerun. As he rounded the bases his head was down and when he touched home plate while being congratulated by his teammates, one of the coaches yelled out, “Steven, where was that pitch?” Steven signaled inside and then said loud enough for most of us to hear, “I’m sorry Coach. I wasn’t trying to hit it out. It was a mistake.”

Yes, we had a rare baseball occurrence where a player had to explain to his coach “why” he hit a homerun. It was hilarious but it had meaning. The coaches believe in Steven and although he has the power to hit homeruns, they don’t want bad habits (over swinging) to develop again.
Isn’t that a lesson for all of us as we examine ourselves before the Cross?

In my years of being a Christian and in church leadership, I know I get aggravated with myself when I feel I’m not being consistent with my walk. I teach a Bible Class and then turn around and not practice some of the spiritual disciplines I taught just hours before to others.
Something to think about family. BTW - the solution to the problem is below:

SOLUTION:
Average speed = total distance------------------6(44) + 4(50)
-------------- = 46.4mi/h
Total time---------------------------10

Comments:
Chicks dig the long ball!

My Rusty didn't make the team this year. He's just a freshman, he can try again next year.
 
That math (algebra ?) problem made my head hurt!

Steven is too funny. Apologizing for a hit like that!

We all fail to "walk the walk" many times, even though we "talk the talk." I woke up this morning thinkng about how many times I've failed...and how many people from my past might read my words or hear my talk, remember, and think I'm a hypocrite! But that's why Jesus came......to offer grace for our failures.
 
Great advice, Dad. Hit the ball up the middle, the home runs will come. Line drives. Line drives.

By the way, I knew the answer to that problem.
 
Good story. On the math problem, while driving that trip, how strong was the headwind against the proverbial train traveling from Chicago to New York? Surely (and don't call me "Shirley") that has some bearing on the answer???
 
Now if all algebra had been that easy and useful for daily life I might have been a math major (nah...but it sounded good)

Consistency is key...in hitting and in life....Why can't I find that rhythm????
 
Sorry, but I don't understand the solution nor the baseball advice, even if you give it twice.
 
I knew the answer as well but didn't want to show off.

Love those mistake homeruns!
 
that girl - I loved that commercial. Tell Rusty to hang in there.

Judy - Yes, thank you Jesus.

Steve - I knew you would Math Bro.

Greg - I tell my kids to ignore that headwind otherwise it will blog them off the "FCAT."

djg - YOu could always come back to Middle School? Now that would be a nightmare for any of us. Come to think of it, I guess I'm stuck in a nightmare.

Brady - You've been in Switzerland too long my friend.

Randy - They may be some of the best kind of homeruns.
 
Stop whatever you are doing and find some better books to have around you. I'm begging you.

Also, that is one of the best sports stories I have heard in a long time. For one thing, even at Steven's age, there should still be a heavy learning component in sports. In sports, it is the decision making and execution that make it a good play, not the outcome. The outcome will follow consistently if you know what is right and consistently do it.

I play basketball with my son all the time and praise him up and down for his fundamentals and not for his made baskets. If he makes a basket with bad form, I say, "that's ok, try it again." If he misses badly with good form, I say "Nice job buddy, high five."

I really love that story about the homerun. When a kid apologizes for hitting a two run homer, you know he "gets it." Good work Dad, even if you Steven pretends to ignore you.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?