Friday, January 11, 2008

You Can Blog But You Can't Hide

Yes family, my “blog freedom” was short lived. Just as Steve (http://intentionalwalk.blogspot.com/) was blogging about “Demons” one of whom was his new District Filter which prevents him from reading some and commenting on any blogs that use blogger, I was enjoying our new District Filter which was once again allowing me total blog freedom. Can I get a rousing “Power to the bloggers” chant going? How about we throw in a blog wave? We’ll start with the West Coast. O.K., Greg (http://gregengland.com/) hit it but make sure you don’t have any clients (live ones that is) in the Funeral Home when you start this.

Any way, the filter police caught up with me and yesterday I learned that I’m back to reading some, commenting on some, and being block from blogger while at work. What is this world coming to?

I’ll relay a story of compassion in this blog compassion-less world. You might have heard about the 100 car pile up in I-4 here in Florida over by Plant City and Lakeland. A “controlled burn” (would that qualify as an oxymoron?) mixed with heavy fog to cause visibility to go down to zero. In fact, some of the EMS folks that showed up on the scene said they could not see the shoes due to the heavy fog and smoke.

A Polk County Deputy Sheriff was in the front of the 100 car pile up. He was able to pull his car off the road and go to a vehicle in front of him that was crushed and starting to burn. He discovered that the driver was pinned by the wreckage as the pile up continued behind them. Try as he could he couldn’t free the man who was starting to go into shock. The Deputy took his cell phone and allowed the man to call his wife which ended up being the last time this husband and wife spoke to each other on this side of eternity. The man died shortly after EMS personnel show up on the scene.

News of the deputy’s heroics and compassion in the middle of the 100 car pile up made its way to the news media who then questioned the Polk County Sheriff about the deputy in a news conference. The Sheriff’s eyes welled up with tears as he described the compassion of the deputy and then said, “Deputy (can’t remember his name) so-and-so is quite upset at the incident. He is use to being able to save lives but this was a situation was out of his control.”

I don’t know how this strikes you but I had two thoughts:
1. Our EMS folks are vastly underpaid for the job that they do. May God bless them and let’s all pray for them.
2. I wonder if I have the same kind of compassion and frustration for those that are lost around me.

Thoughts for the weekend family. God bless.

Comments:
I know of a similar situation and the hero person will never be able to get over it.
 
That was some story. You can watch a story on it here:

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/florida/news-article.aspx?storyid=99672&ref=rss

Peace.
 
Sorry about the repeated lack of blogginess. Wasn't very nice of them to tease you like that.

I can't help but wonder how much more immediate we would feel about saving those around us if we saw the spiritual world for what it really is.
 
I have a EMS person in my family, and my heart bleeds at some of the stories I hear him tell. We should definitely be praying for them. I saw the wreck on the news but had not heard this story. How heart-rending. It's beyond words.

We've been hearing a lot of sermons and class discussions at Berclair recently about our concern for the lost. Sometimes I think the reason for the difference between what happened in that story and what happens with us is that we may not take seriously the fact that people around us really ARE lost.
 
When I was here earlier I forgot to mention my favorite verse "correctly" translated:

I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

Peace.
 
100 cars? That generally leads to a mess. You are right that those people are underpaid. At least the EMS personnel who are believers know they can do all things . . . . .
 
It is the times we allow ourselves to be compassionate that we make a difference.


**If I could not blog at work I probably would not blog at all**


BTW- I am doing the wave!!
 
Good thoughts, Cecil. Your last point is an especially good one--people are trapped in spiritual wreckage all around us. We've got to help God help them.
 
Your right about being underpayed. Most of these folks do it because they have compassiona and a desire to help others. Sounds like Jesus to me.

We had a rescue helicopter crash this month while trying to hover over a lost hunter whom they found. Three died in the crash. our prayers and thoughts are with their families
 
morning!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?