Monday, January 07, 2008

Satisfaction

How about a little “rock-n-roll trivia?” Which “kid” on the album is Mick Jagger?

Mick Jagger and The Stones sang this title song about their struggle / search to get “some satisfaction.” Perhaps the “kiss of death” for a church or individual Christian is just the opposite; to be satisfied with where they are at spiritually. I think this problem can manifest itself in different forms.

I was once (you’re probably thinking, “Just once?”) rebuked at a previous church I attended for suggesting that the individual Christian and a church should always be on the move, challenging itself, revisiting Scripture and views on Scripture, or to borrow some language from Rubel Shelly and Randy Harris, to be a “Pilgrim” or “Pilgrim Church.” My rebuke took the form of Jude 1:3 –

Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once (emphasis mine) for all entrusted to the saints.”

In other words as it was explained to me, there is nothing new to learn from Scripture since:

1. Scripture is a finite source.

2. We in the Church of Christ (that would be mainstream/non-one cuppers, non-cooperation, non-non Sunday School, non-non located preacher, non-clapping, non-praise teams, non – you get the idea) are the only body of people that understand this “faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints.”

Does it scare you that there are churches and individuals that hold to numbers one and two? They do exist or at least they do for the time being.

Then there’s the form of the “satisfaction problem” that myself and my church must deal with. 2007 was an amazing year for me and our church. I won’t bore you with the details. Nevertheless there is a tendency to thank God for all that He has done for us in the past year as well as give ourselves a pat on the back for at times, stepping out on faith. Do you see where the focus is? It’s looking back and it’s on me / us instead of looking forward and putting my focus on God.

It’s like being in the tribes that didn’t (Gad, Ruben, Manasseh) cross the Jordan. They were happy with their freedom from Egypt and hanging out on the “Westside.” I’m going to go “anti-Mick” and state that I don’t want “satisfaction.” “Satisfaction” with my Christian walk can lead an individual to “lukewarmness” while leading a church into disobedience or the brink of being a cult.

I would have never have prayed for some of the events of 2007 but then I was a “Westside boy.” I want to have that “strong and courageous” faith that God tells Joshua they need to have to “hang out on the Eastside with God.

Have a good day family.


Comments:
Being satisfied with where we are would mean standing still. And standing still means getting no exercise which leads to becoming weak and ineffective, unable to support oneself much less being useful to anyone else. I remind myself to reach forward, learning, drawing closer to the Lord. But sometimes I get stuck in the mire, too.
 
I like this recent email from Edward Fudge along the lines of your blog today.

A church acquaintance with whom I grew up in North Alabama fully a half century ago wrote recently to tell me that I am preaching "another gospel" which is no gospel at all, for which I will be eternally lost, and that he knows that I "know better" than my expressed convictions on a variety of religious issues.

* * *
This unhappy gentleman is representative of a category of people who place their hope in a particular religious organization or in a system of man-made doctrine and whose allegiance naturally follows their hope. Missing is an understanding that Jesus really is our Savior, that he took our place in his own perfect doing and dying to set us right with God, and that our energies now are devoted to responding to God's grace and not to cobbling together some kind of personal righteousness with which we hope to barter or bargain with the Almighty. In the view of my friend, salvation depends on being in the "right" church and reaching all the "right" conclusions in studying the Bible. Because this understanding of salvation provides no room for error, those who advocate it must pretend that they are now correct on every doctrinal point and persuade themselves of that illusion.

Laboring under this impossible burden, its carriers also feel logically obligated to condemn all who differ with them, who -- since they themselves are definitely right -- must be absolutely wrong. Wearing these blinders, one might acknowledge that another person generally lives a godly and upright life (as my friend would say of me), yet not hesitate to conclude and to announce to others that the person who differs from himself is willfully twisting God's Word, knowingly teaching fatal error and consciously misleading others into what he clearly knows to be wrong.

I wrote back to this gentleman and assured him that my theological differences with him resulted from intensive Bible study over many years and are truly spoken in all good faith. I expressed regret that he seemingly trusts in something that can never provide hope or salvation. And I prayed that the God who spoke light out of darkness in the beginning would now shine in this friend's heart to show him the divine glory in the face of Jesus Christ (2 Cor. 4:6). I understand where my friend is in his thinking. I was there once myself -- and still would be, but for the grace of God.

Peace.
 
kindred spirits are we....I would love it if my Elders thought like you think..

Make my life much simpler, and my work harder, but more fulfilling.
 
A great post, brother, and one that we struggle with all over the church. I think the CofC may be the most extreme example of this, but I think most groups tie themselves down, in some way or another, to certain interpretations. I'm trying hard to focus on those things we share and can never let go. Christ. Him crucified.
 
Good stuff! It's been a great journey watching your growth and not as one who arrived long before you, but as one making the journey of growth with you.
 
PS Mick is on the right
 
Judy - Don't we all. Thanks Judy.

Puck - Now I get it.

djg - Thanks. Wish we had the resources to put you to work. Hang in there.

Steve - There is no doubt that this "satisfaction problem" pervades all denominaitions including our own. If we are to truly be the "Church of Christ" our allegience must be to Him and not tradition.

Greg - Thanks and thanks for inviting me on the journey.
BTW - correct.
 
I missed the correct Mick. I thought he was the one in the very back.

You are so right about the journey of the Christian. It's always the fat that we are traveling. We will only stop growing when we meet Jesus one day.

My mom asked me once, "What will you do, son, when you precah through the Bible at a church?" She was concerned that I would run out of material. No way!!

Tha biggest room in the world is the room for improvement.
 
Excellent, as usual.

May God continue to grow our faith, at the speed He knows is appropriate, so that we can glorify Him as much as possible in our individual lives and in our churches. This quest for His glory will keep us hungry, growing, etc.
 
Great post. My least favorite "Christian" expression is: "The Bible said it, I believe it and that settles it." which I believe is meant to get to the same point of your mentioned rebuke. To that I say, 1. While scripture may be finite, the potential for knowledge and understanding of God and His will for us is infinite. 2. The Church is the living body of Christ and if a body is not growing (and I'm not talking about numbers here), it is dying.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?