Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Open Mouth / Insert Foot

Has there ever been a time when you (should we let Randy out of this conversation?) didn’t know what you were talking about? Come on now, have you ever been convinced about an issue, articulated your position, examined your thought processes, and knew you were right only to be proven that you were dead wrong?

BTW, is it worse to be wrong or dead wrong as opposed to say “living wrong?” I could be wrong, I’m sorry, got carried away for a moment.

I wonder if there was a Junior Officer who was convinced and then convinced General Custer that they could take the Indians at the Little Big Horn. Do you think there were any Ohio State fans who were convinced they were going to finally win a NCAA Championship (apologies to USC and Georgia) Game?

A few months ago, I was convinced that discontinuing our Wednesday night classes for kids as well as going to a “Dinner and a Devo.” format was not good for our church. I was convinced that I was right and I knew what I was talking about and my fellow elders although wise and somewhat as good looking as I am, were wrong. Guess what?

You guess it, I was wrong and I didn’t know what I was talking about. Our church loves our “Dinner and a Devo” format. Barb cooks a meal at 6pm and then we have a devotional at 6:45 with the promise of trying to get our young church out of the building by 7:15. They love it and our attendance on Wednesday nights is increasing.

I’m not like the “Phonz” on the T.V. show “Happy Days.” I can say the word, “wrong.” I’m more like the father on the movie “Dirty Dancing” when he discovers that “Johnny” (Patrick Swayze) isn’t the father of an aborted baby of one of the dancers. He walks up to Johnny and says, “When I’m wrong I say it.”

Well family, I was wron8@$%&!!!, just kidding, I can say it. I was wrong. Sometimes it’s good to be wrong.

Comments:
Someday I may experience that....you know being wrong...I will let you know if it happens.
 
Now everybody knows you were wrong. And humble about it.

What's wife fixing for next week? I might work it in…
 
I would LOVE a Wednesday night format like that.
 
I know how you feel, Math Bro. I hate being wrong, but I try to stay open to the possibility. If only others could admit how seldom it happens.
 
Hey, I know Barbara and I know that you know that you've been wrong numerous times!!
 
Now, if I could just get you to use that phrase more often during "overbearing elder" week at camp!

Peace.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?