Wednesday, January 16, 2008

"Hell Week" - First and Last

Program Note: The part of this latest post will be played by the blogger of the previous post. Yes, I managed to post 2 identical posts in a row. I feel like Yogi Berra when he said it was like having "dejavous all over again." Actually, I was able to log on to blogger from school yesterday so I assumed I was dealing with a kinder / gentler version of our District filter. When I went to post "Hell Week" it appeared the District filter kicked back in and denied me permission. Foolish me for assuming. So I came home and posted from my home computer only to discover that I had been successful. So, I guess in some ways I'm having a blog version of "Hell Week."

First, let me say that I’m O.K. The title of today’s post is not indicative of the week I’ve had, so far. The past few days have been a series of “firsts” and “lasts” for my son as he enters his senior year of High School Baseball. His “last” tryouts were held this past Saturday. For the first and last time he hit one out being the only kid on a windy day to take one yard during tryouts.

Yesterday was his last “first day of practice.” I can still remember driving up to our ball field for the very first time and observing how small Steven looked compared to some of the seniors on the team. That “look” has gone away and as one of the dads observed, your son is “buffed out.” I would like to say he gets his physique from me but I know this crowd wouldn’t let me get away with such an exaggeration.

This morning at 5a.m., yes, 5a.m., I woke him up for his first and last “first day of Hell week.” Seems our new coach has an interesting tradition of putting the new team through it’s paces physically which he fondly refers to as “Hell Week.” It was interesting to hear at yesterday’s practice how some of the dads of freshman were having their boys spend the night together in one place and sleep in their workout clothes so the carpool driver could get the boys to the gym on time at 6am.

Steven called me on the way back from Hell Week this morning to report that he had “made it” through the first day. His victorious words were something to the effect of, “Dad, I didn’t puke and my team won the relay at the end!”

Now, you need to understand the “regurgitation statement.” Yesterday at practice, the coach in referencing the activities of Hell Week stated, “I know some of you boys don’t eat breakfast. It would be better if you ate something such as a banana so that when you do puke (emphasis mine) you’ll have something to show for it.” Don’t you just love coaches and their compassion?

I believe the end result of our Coach’s Hell Week is that the boys will bond together as they strive to survive it. I just hope that I can survive it as I have to get up at 5am to wake Steven up.

Until then, sweet dreams.


Comments:
The trainers at the gym have made it their goal to make us throw up or cry. I came very close to both a couple of weeks ago but... I'm as tough as anybody now!

My nephew, Rusty, is so very close to making his high school baseball team. He is tired, so tired of running but he wants it bad. He's only a freshman and has decided that he will play summer ball if he doesn't make the school team. I don't want him to be hurt.
 
This is remarkably like the blog just under this one. Same title. Same content. Different responses. Hmmmm ... a new blog technique?
 
Good Greg,
when I first saw it I thought my comment had been zapped! :)


so C, did your get your son up on time????

have a great day!
 
that girl - I know some believe "P.T." stands for "Physical Training." I think some coaches and trainers believe it's suppose to stand for "Physical Torture." We'll keep Rusty in our prayers. Remember, Michael Jordan was cut as a sophmore from his J.V. Basketball team and look what he did!

Greg - As Clark's Uncle said to Aunt Bethany in "Christmas Vacation" after Clark told him he didn't have to buy him a Christmas gift, "He guessed it."

jel - Yep. We're up.
 
Well I thought I posted to this earlier? Hmmm...sicker than I thought?

But, nevermind. The joy of high school athletics is recounting the torture and the puke....at least that is how my husband and son reminincse...
 
That's showing them, Steven. Never let them see you puke!!

That 5am stuff is no fun. Before I retired last year, I had to be at work at 6:30, so that meant rising by 5-5:30. I thought I'd never be able to sleep past that time, but guess what? I can!!!

P.S. For you, dear E-Cecil, and anyone else who might want to wander over, I have caved in and have a blog now, too. It is at www.meowmix.org. Being very new at this, I make no promises! :)
 
Never underestimate the power of repeating yourself! I can say confidently that in 23 years at the same church I have never repeated myself. I can say confidently that in 23 years at the same church I have never repeated myself. I can say confidently that in 23 years at the same church I have never repeated myself.

Did I say that in 23 years at the same church I have never repeated myself.

Oh well, at least I can fall back on my favorite verse: I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

Peace.
 
I knew there was a reason I gave up coaching. I can't think of a good enough reason to get up at 5:00 myself, much less to make others do it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?