Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Hell Week - First and Last

First, let me say that I’m O.K. The title of today’s post is not indicative of the week I’ve had, so far. The past few days have been a series of “firsts” and “lasts” for my son as he enters his senior year of High School Baseball. His “last” tryouts were held this past Saturday. For the first and last time he hit one out being the only kid on a windy day to take one yard during tryouts.

Yesterday was his last “first day of practice.” I can still remember driving up to our ball field for the very first time and observing how small Steven looked compared to some of the seniors on the team. That “look” has gone away and as one of the dads observed, your son is “buffed out.” I would like to say he gets his physique from me but I know this crowd wouldn’t let me get away with such an exaggeration.

This morning at 5a.m., yes, 5a.m., I woke him up for his first and last “first day of Hell week.” Seems our new coach has an interesting tradition of putting the new team through it’s paces physically which he fondly refers to as “Hell Week.” It was interesting to hear at yesterday’s practice how some of the dads of freshman were having their boys spend the night together in one place and sleep in their workout clothes so the carpool driver could get the boys to the gym on time at 6am.

Steven called me on the way back from Hell Week this morning to report that he had “made it” through the first day. His victorious words were something to the effect of, “Dad, I didn’t puke and my team won the relay at the end!”

Now, you need to understand the “regurgitation statement.” Yesterday at practice, the coach in referencing the activities of Hell Week stated, “I know some of you boys don’t eat breakfast. It would be better if you ate something such as a banana so that when you do puke (emphasis mine) you’ll have something to show for it.” Don’t you just love coaches and their compassion?
I believe the end result of our Coach’s Hell Week is that the boys will bond together as they strive to survive it. I just hope that I can survive it as I have to get up at 5am to wake Steven up.

Until then, sweet dreams.

Comments:
by 5AM I have been up for 2hour already! :)


oh glad to hear Steven, didn't toss his cookies :)
 
Just think of it as a road trip and you'll be up and ready by 3am.
 
I get up at 5:00 every morning...you want me to just call him?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?