Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Busy / Props / Paper Towels / Camping

I know, being busy is a poor excuse but it’s the truth. This past weekend we went camping and didn’t come home until Monday. A field trip to Space Camp today not to mention the obligatory trips to the ball field to watch number one son hit a couple out during BP, dinner and a devo tonight at church, and here we are at 10:30pm.

First with the “props” as the kiddos would say.
Greg (http://gregengland.com/) helped me out last week with a “coast to coast” post for his buddy. You know you’re a good friend if you buddy trusts you with his blogger user I.D. and password. I sent both plus my last post to Greg because I knew going camping this past weekend would knock me out of posting. Greg was gracious enough to log on to blogger for me and post the “End of Hell Week” post. Thanks Bro.

Judy (http://meowmix.org/) or as we affectionately know her as, “Meowmix.” Judy sent me an email check on my lack of blogging. Your inquiry Judy meant a lot to me. Thanks again.

How do you know if you have “good” kids? Has anyone ever used paper towels to describe your child, teen, or youth group? This past weekend we went camping at Wekiwa (pronounced “we-ki-va”) (http://www.floridastateparks.org/wekiwasprings/default.cfm) Springs State Park with about 50 folks from our church. Most of the youth group and our youth minister, Chad, went as well.

Our campsite was next to the “Camp Host.” This was a retired couple who in exchange for a free site, kept the restrooms and campsites clean. Ruth approached me Sunday to comment on our kids. She asked, “Do you know how I can tell your church has nice kids?” When I said, “No,” she answered, “Because of the paper towels.”

When I asked her to elaborate she told me she and her husband were not required to put paper towels in the restrooms but they usually did at the start of a weekend. She said if people abused the paper towels by throwing them on the ground, in the sink, or in the toilets, she and her husband would not replace them. She said the sign of a good group would be the continued replacement of paper towels in the restrooms to which I noted we had paper towels throughout the weekend. At Wekiwa Springs State Park, good kids equal paper towels.

Now of the camping pictures:
The springs. The hill in the background was the site of our "Uphill Kickball" game. Going to first was bad but trying to stretch a single to double when 2B is uphill wasn't easy. The lack of swimmers was due to temps in the 50's.

Steven and Page at breakfast. The temps at this point were in the 40's but as you can see, number one Floridian son is eating breakfast in shorts.

Steven (on the left) and his buddy, Zack, on "KP." You'd think they would look more excited as they wash dishes.

One of the girls in the youth group who is dressed for the weather.

Sunday morning service in the outdoors with temps in the 30's. Steven is at the bottom of the screen. Notice the long pants!
A group shot at our Sunday service. Chad leads the devo.
At the bottom of the "Springs hill." 1B was about 25 steps up the right hand side.
Steven making a play at third. He's looking to throw the ball "up hill" to second.

Steven riding down the hill and attempting a "burn out" on a bike.
The hooded figure is wife in multiple layers of clothes. She is standing next to the warm camp fire which is next to number one son, in shorts!

























Comments:
That looks FUN!!
 
We've had a lot of good times there. Remember when the thunderstorm took everyone out of the spring and when the storm was over, two large alligators were swimming across the spring, right where we'd all been swimming just moments earlier? There was also the dive class and the pranksters pulling each other's bathing suits off, but I won't mention that one.
 
Glad ya had a good time,

but 40's and 30's would be a heat wave here! :)
 
Nothing like some good "clean" fun!
 
That's what I look like when I wash dishes! :)

I'm with Barb on this one!

Glad to see you're back. Miss you when you're away.
 
Looks cooooold. Not that it's much warmer here right now...I just don't like being out in it!
 
that girl - It was!

Greg - I remember all of that and more.

jel - I know. Here in Florida when the temps drop below 50 we want to close off the borders.

djg - You know it.

Judy - Me too and thanks.

Steve - I can tolerate the cold if I'm dressed for it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?