Monday, December 31, 2007

Makotos

As the Holidays began a number of “us” whose boys have grown up together at our church decided to take them to our favorite Japanese Steakhouse, “Makotos” in Melbourne. No, there wasn’t a scene (as in the movie, “Christmas Story”) in which a duck’s head had to be severed to make the meal more presentable.

Several of our “boys” will be graduating in the next 2 years from High School so occasions where we can get them all together (yes, we actually wanted to) are fleeting at best. Are party ended up being 24 so I volunteered to drive our church bus to increase the fun.

The meal was fantastic and our 2 Japanese Chefs put on an outstanding show. I think the funniest moment was when the Chef for the boys threw water on the hot grill causing a loud hiss and a large cloud of steam. Steven’s friend, David, who was in the direct “line of fire” yelled across the room to his Mother, “Mom, I think my eye-brows are gone again!”

The reason this was funny was due to the fact that David, on a dare, had shaved his eyebrows during our youth group’s trip to John Dobb’s Church to help with Katrina Relief. David is a great kid with a great sense of humor. I guess you have to have a good sense of humor to shave your own eye-brows.

Despite all of the fun we had at Makotos that for me and I think for all the parents, wasn’t the highlight of the evening. On the bus ride home, I was using the bus microphone (no, this wasn’t the highlight either) to play “tour guide” and liven up the evening. At one point I was hushed by several of the adults. Now, those that know me I’m sure would agree that I couldn’t have possibly been annoying. I appreciate all of you who have my back.

No, I was hushed by the adults because the teens, on their own, had started singing praise songs. There is a certain feeling you get when your children on their own, choose to do spiritual things.

Now, I’m not bragging on my parenting skills or my son’s (and his friends) ability to be “perfect.” Goodness knows that that both he and I are far from it. My praise goes to God for despite all of the mistakes I’ve made in raising my son and I know my friends would make the same statement, praise to be to God that our boys love Jesus.

Happy New Year Family.

Comments:
Cool!
 
I posted a comment yesterday and it went away. It went something like this.

Being a thin, light-colored eyebrow person, I can't agree that a kid who shaves off his eyebrows does it with a sense of humor. He needs therapy!!

I always love to read your stories about your church's youth group and Steven and his friends. This is another inspiring, uplifting one. I pray that Jesus will always be as real in their lives as He is to them now.

Happy New Year to you, Barb and Steven.
 
Another great post, Cecil, about your activities and your kids and their "upbringing" in the Lord.

Hope you and your family have a very successful and blessed 2008!

Much love to you all today!

Dee
 
Morning ,
hope ya have a great new year !

is it nice and warm down there ?

it is sooooooo cold here
"9"degrees

have a good day!!!
 
Sounds fun!
 
Shut up and let the kids sing!

Amen!

: )
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?