Wednesday, December 12, 2007

God- Big Mouth or Mealy Mouth?

I was thinking about the “seasons of life” the other day. Greg talking about his lack of wanting to decorate the outside of his house due to his kids being grown and out of the house, my own son graduating from High School this year, and just plain getting older got me going. I chaperoned our Middle School Christmas Chorus Concert last night and again, I became reflective as I watched parents look at their performing children in much the same way I looked at my son just a few years ago on that very spot.

Does it seem that God sometimes goes through “seasons of life as well?” I know in my own life there have been times when God seems like He is screaming at me either post or pre-event. No more was that more evident than our 2 year drama with a local Bible Camp in which we were told we couldn’t have Pat Pugh speak to our campers, a year later being un-invited from said Camp seemingly giving brotherhood terrorists / blackmailers the final victory in our long association with Christian Camping, and then having God provide a new Camp and the means to bring Pat to our week of Camp.

As I have said so often, we are still feeling the benefits of Pat’s challenging lessons to our kids, my very own son and this despite the best efforts of men to stand in the way of God. Yes, in the highest and most positive sense I can conjure, God spoke with a very big mouth. He seemingly was saying, “I am sovereign, I am King, and the Gates of Hell will not prevail against the teaching of my Holy Word!” Those are seasons that you can hang on to, teach and preach about them, and remember them in the tough times.

Then there are the times when God seems to be a “mealy mouth.” Perhaps more accurately He at times seems to have “no” mouth at all. His voice is silent. I remember when my Mother’s cancer came back, one month before we were to move into our “dream home” with a “Mother-in-Law’s Quarters.” Steven was in 2nd or 3rd Grade and he loved his “Nanny.” I prayed and prayed for healing, for remission, for a miracle but God was silent. There was no word from God, no last minute save, no healing. Don’t you just love life?

But as someone once said, “Faith isn’t faith unless it’s tested.” I am not a bold person and I don’t like change or tests. I love my routine, my anonymity, and my “ducks in a row.” I love for my God to have a “big mouth” because it’s comforting. I never liked sleeping alone.

Yet as I grow older and I can’t say that I “enjoy” God’s silence but I’m coming to grip with it. I guess that’s one reason to look forward to Heaven. God will never be silent and we don’t have to worry about being alone.

I know I rambled a bit but it was on my heart as are all of you. God bless.


Comments:
I went back and read some of your posts about CFBC, and all of that, just noting how sad that is. I attended camp there as a kid for a long time and I loved it. I am sad that you guys went through that. Things like this do tend to test your faith, but you're right in the end, the Missio Dei is the most important and these "tests" result in us through Jesus overcoming, whether we pass or fail.
 
Personally, I think I'd rather distance myself from anyone calling God "mealy-mouthed"! But I think we can fully appreciate the Big Mouth you speak of only in the context of having experienced the silence.
 
I downloaded some music by Lifehouse this weekend. I fell in love immediately with a song called "Storm." It really hit me hard with the realization of how important faith is...and what we do during those periods when He seems so quiet.
 
I've experienced both ends of the spectrum, as you've described. Times when He answers right away and times when He is silent. Two big issues in my life that have been close to my heart for years now fell into the silence. One of them is still in silence; the other is emerging from it. And I am so grateful for that. And because one is emerging, I can still trust that He is still hearing me about the other one. He may not answer that one affirmatively, but I can still hope, and I still KNOW that He is hearing me. Thanks for sharing your heart.
 
Faith and allowing the Holy Spirit reins in our lives are both sometimes tested in the "silent days" (or is that silent night? ha) but these are usually the times we experience the most growth. Sad that we only see the growth in retrospect, but comforting to know that it must be happening...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?