Thursday, December 20, 2007

Accountability

I know in the past I have pontificated on the current age of “Accountability” that we currently find ourselves in with respect to Education. At current here in the Sunshine State we hold children as young as 7 years old, accountable for their standardized test scores. A 3rd Grader must past the FCAT (Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test) in both Reading and Math to be promoted to the 4th grade, irresponsive of their performance throughout that year.

“Accountability” here in Florida is on the cuspate on venturing as far down the educational ladder as Kindergarten. There is a movement afoot to use what is called the “Dibbles Testing” as part of the “school grade formula” for Elementary Schools.

In the past few weeks our church has been renovating our “office wing.” In the hustle and bustle of cleaning out files, preparing rooms for paint, and the like, we’ve come across old minutes from Elder’s Meetings, some of which date back 30 and 40 years old. In reading some of these minutes from my “ancestral Shepherds,” 2 things came to mind:

1. To some extent certain subjects (finances and motivating people) were repeated quite often. The mention of this is certainly not an affirmation of anything positive.

2. Most of the Meeting Documents contained extensive, blow by blow, word by word commentaries. “Brother so and so said this and Brother so and so said that.” Much more detailed than the current minutes we currently record of our meetings.

As I thought about “number 2” the conclusion I came to was the “word by word” commentary was necessary to hold folks accountable. Each word seemed to be measured so that it would stand up in a court of law should some legal action be needed.

We seemed to be (southern colloquial phrase coming) “ate up” with holding folks “accountable” in our society.

As I thought about my standing before God my thoughts turned to the “blood of the lamb.” I’m thankful that a Holy God, a righteous God is also a loving God. I’m thankful that when God looks at us, he doesn’t think of our “accountability” but rather he sees justification for those of us whose sins are covered by the blood of the lamb, the Lord Jesus Christ.

We are loved by a “second chance God.”

Have a good weekend family.

Romans 5:6You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. 8But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. 9Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him!


Comments:
I bet I could venture a guess as to who recorded those minutes and I'd be correct!
 
I think it would be a good experience for all of us to sit in on an elders meeting. Sometimes it is easy to sit on the outside and criticize what goes on inside.

But as far as I can tell they are not looking for vounteers in "my neck of the woods" (southern to southern)
 
Pontificate.........interesting word! :)

It's a comfort to me to know that when God looks at me, He sees me through the sacrifice of Jesus. Thanks be to Him.
 
Keep doing those good things that God created you to do and that he created to do (Eph 2.10). There will be a day when we will stand, bow, rejoice before the Lord. There will be a lot of surprises and much joy.

Hang in there. Here they decide your life at school before you are 12. Used to be at age 7. Can you imagine?
 
Thanks for the good post on accountability. I'm sure there must be a happy medium somewhere, don't you think, Cecil? In school, I mean.

As for being a Christian . . . thanks for the post on that score, too, and the scripture from Romans.

God bless you all today!

Dee
 
Sorry for the the off topic comment. But, as we turn our hearts toward family and friends during the Christmas holiday, I wanted to let you to know that I am thankful for blessing of many new friends I’ve come to “know” here in blogland. The tie that binds us is our shared love for and devotion to the Savior whose birth we remember during this special time of the year. May your days be full of holiday blessings; and, may your heart be filled with the warmth of His presence.

Blessings,
-bill
Spiritual Oasis Blog
 
When we moved from our old church building I reviewed many of our ancient meeting minutes and was impressed by some of what I read, but also reminded of the brush fires we often have to put out in ministry.

Peace to you this Christmas bro. We're staying put this year in sunny Florida.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?