Friday, November 02, 2007

"Running like Crazy"

Yesterday evening started out as one of those rare evenings for our family. We were all home around 6 and planning to eat some yummy grilled turkey burgers. Does this beg the question, does it take one to eat one? Pardon the chasing of the bird, I mean rabbit. We decided to include our upstairs companions, Anthony and Phil as well. Following our meal together we decided to watch “We Are Marshall.” Phil had never seen the powerful movie. For me, the most powerful part is the end when vintage footage of the 70 team is shown along with photos of the actual people portrayed in the movie.

Steven received a call about three-fourths of the way through the movie from his friend Zack. He and Zack are seniors in our youth group. As Steven was talking to Zack his answers went something like:
“Hello.”
“Yes”
“Really”
“Are you kidding?” (That one concerned me)
“That’s crazy” (Red Alert!)
“I’ll have to ask my parents.”

I’ve been privy to many of Steven’s conversations but I have to admit when I heard the words “really,” “kidding,” and “crazy” my level of concern was elevated to Code Red. It was about 9:15 in the evening at this point.

Steven first asked, “Dad, Zack and I want to for a run.” Innocent enough, yes? You have to admire a couple of young men who are trying to stay fit, yes? Of course it begged the eternal question of parents with teens, “Where?” The answer:

“The Power Lines.”

Clarification: For us, the “Power Lines” is an area under high voltage (In So Cal people actually live there, in homes.) lines that is un-developed, very wet, and a haven for folks who want to take their 4-wheeled vehicles (or Ford Contours – see earlier post) as we say here in West Cocoa, “Muddin.”

I was quite sure this was the first request for jogging the Power Lines. As I looked at Mom her reaction was predictable, “Are you crazy – No.” Me, being whatever a leader is in a church and of course, a major fun-miester I inquired further with a “W” question of my own, “Why” I asked.

Steven’s answer, “Zack wants to do something crazy.” In a moment my mind which I believe may be faster than a “Mac,” went into overdrive and do you know what I came up with? If that is the “craziest” thing these boys want to do in a world that teens can do some “crazy” things, I found myself say, “O.K., but please be careful!”

As my wife looked at me with a "Linda Blair" gaze without the head spin, I flashed back (cue the theme from "Kung Fu") to a sermon Terry Rush delivered at Long Beach. He told of being faced with a similar decision from one of his sons who wanted to drive 90 miles with some of his friends to some event, while still in High School I believe.

Although everything inside him told him to say "No," he chose to say "Yes" and he told his son that he trusted him. "Time" is fleeting with our boys as in a few months they will be off to college. I guess I held on to my part of "making a memory" for these young men.

Of course my wife reminded me that if they got hurt it would be my fault. I knew that but perhaps it's an advantage (I'm sure the ladies would say "disadvantage") we Dad's should have with our sons. We should never forget what "fun" feels like as we to were "boys" once.

Steven made it back home, muddy, wet, appreciative, and I'm sure with a memory he'll never forget.

My advice family:
1. Have a good weekend.
2. If you do go "muddin," go in a vehicle but avoid the use of a Ford Contour.

Comments:
I take it that he(son) made it back safe and sound?

What is "WE ARE MARAHALL"
 
jel - Sorry about that. I somehow cut off part of the original post. It's added now and the answer is yes.

"WAM" is the true story of the crash of a flight carrying the entire 1970 Marshall Football Team including the Coaching Staff, Athletic Dept., Boosters, and fans.
 
boy I'm glad you said something about that! I thought I was losing it! cause I didn't remember reading all of that! :)


I was nine year old when that crash happen!

anyway have a great day!
and weekend!
 
Your post reminded me of that old black and white show "Father Knows Best". I can't say it is a show I have ever actually seen on tv but our preacher has used it in classes before (sorry, I digress). Anyway, the dad made alot of decisions that made no since at all to the mom. But in the end it all worked out. I know my dad always seemed to understand what I needed. Sound like your a father who know best too. Have a great weekend!
 
I saw that movie on your recommendation and it was truly powerful. I've recommended it to everyone I can think of.

Put on your gray tweed suit and tie and you'll look just like Robert Young!!! I appreciate you, and I know Steven does, too.
 
P.S. - Had I been there when the decision was being made, I'd a been with Barb..........but being able to read your thought processes after the fact - well, that makes a difference! :)
 
I have to say first that getting through the word verifications sometimes is a huge pain! Having said that, you are a good dad, Cecil, and I like the way you think.

Being a mom, however, I probably would have been like your wife! Moms always worry about their kids - especially boys.

As for the movie, "We Are Marshall," Tom and I went to see it when it came out at the theater and thought it was a fantastic movie. Tom remembers when it happened. I don't, but then I tend to live in a fog most of the time, anyway.

We, too, liked the end the best where the real people came on screen. It was moving.

Dee
 
Successsful parenting happens when we make ourselves obsolete.
 
Cool Dad!
 
Those are sometimes tough calls. It takes wisdom to know when to say yes and no.

I think…
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?