Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Wishes

Have you ever thought about your own funeral? I know, how could we avoid the subject with the advent of Greg’s new vocation. Yea, even I could be the cause of such morbid thoughts with pictures like the one below taken last year just before the Pepperdine Bible Lectures at the England Family Mortuary:
Today’s subject is indeed, “What would be your “wishes” at your funeral?” A couple of years ago, Rubel Shelly shared this story:
Rubel like many of us has a pet peeve about cell phones going off during church and funerals. I’m sure there is no connection by the way. Any way, he said he was giving a Eulogy at a funeral when, yes, you guessed it, his cell phone went off as he had forgotten to turn it off.

Being mortified (no pun intended – yes there was!) he later apologized to the Funeral Home Director. The Director appreciated his apology but told him there are worse things that can happen at a funeral. The Director relayed how they had held the funeral of a prominent woman in Nashville a few days earlier at their Funeral Home. She was a fan of the “Wizard of Oz” so she had requested that “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” be played at her funeral. Be careful what you wish for, right?

The Director told Rubel that when it came time to play the C.D. of songs from “Oz,” instead of selecting “Somewhere Over The Rainbow,” the assistant (lets take a poll to see how man of you believe Greg would do this) selected another song – “Ding Dong The Wicked Witch is Dead!” Can I get a witness or at least a “rut-row?”

As good as that story is the inspiration for this post came from a little blurb in the October 2007 edition of Reader’s Digest. Recently Robert Adler passed away. O.K. guys, this guy was our best friend and a woman’s worst enemy. Mr. Adler was the inventor of – what is it that guys love to “control” and women hate – you guessed it, Robert was the inventor of the T.V. Remote! He died at the age of 93 and because of his “wondrous” invention he had a special wish for his funeral or in this case, his burial. What do you think it was? I’ll give you a visual clue:

Maybe not. For some reason blogger would not allow me to download my picture. How about some clues:
You can sit or lay on it. Again, it's mostly a guy thing, and you can sometimes find spare change in it.

Give up? Mr. Adler, the inventor of the T.V. Remote specified that at his funeral he wanted to be buried between 2 enormous sofa cushions. My touch would be that his burial site would be lost at times.

There you go, a nice Tuesday post to think about.
Have a good day Family.






Comments:
I heard of a woman who requested her husband's casket be left open during the service and, during the songs, one of the singers was to stand at the casket holding the hand of the deceased!

As for my funeral, I want lots and lots of people there, a procession 3 miles long, and live singers with beautiful voices singing zippy songs! None of that dragging out of "Farther Along" and "Precious Memories" for me! I want the preacher to say lots of wonderful things about me and maybe release baloons into the clear-blue sky on a bright, fall afternoon when the leaves are at their most glorious!

(Yes, I have considered writing fiction!) :)
 
I would like my send off to be more of a "roast". I would like everyone to tell their best "donna story" and laugh and laugh....then scatter my ashes or put them in balloons like meowmix said....
 
Judy - Now that is morbid or as some of my students would say, "That's cold Mr. Walker."

djg - I like the roast idea.
 
Tom wants a real Irish type "wake" for his funeral. Everyone drinking bourbon (or their choice liquor) and having a good time telling Tom stories. It's like Donna's roast with drinking, I guess.

Cheers & Blessings to you all today! Dee
 
I am shocked that those people at that mortuary would be so unprofessional as to allow you to ride their body lift.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?