Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Moving

Steven came home the other day and informed us that the Head Baseball Coach told him the coaching staff was considering moving the boy who played short-stop last year to third and moving him from second to short. Now, unlike in the MLB, in High School ball there is no option to veto the decision and Steven would never do so anyway. He is excited about the chance to start at short in his senior season for the Varsity. So excited in fact that he said he needed a new glove.

Now ladies, I know you guys sometimes get a bad rap for the number of shoes you have, you know, one for every outfit. It seems that baseball is getting to the point where there is a glove for each position. But then there are Grand-parents. Steven loves to eat with his (pardon the “southern-eese” here) Maw-maw and Paw-paw. When they “rustle up a mess” of boiled cabbage and pinto beans, the boy thinks he has died and gone to Heaven.

He ate with my in-laws this past Monday. During the course of dinner he mentioned the possible move and his impending need. He also mentioned that he had a plan to buy this glove which included working part time for a local Delivery Company during the Holidays. This is the part that reminds me of Bill Cosby.

Bill Cosby once witnessed his parents who he described as being extremely frugal when he was a kid, openly and generously giving his kids, their Grand-kids money. Bill’s quote was, “These people are not my parents. They’re old people trying to get into Heaven!” You can probably guess what happened next.

My in-laws were proud of Steven’s work ethic but they would hear nothing of their Grand-son going without this coveted “short-stop” glove. They gave Steven the money with their blessing. I look forward to the time when I can be a Grand-parent. Greg, what’s it like? Will Jackson be getting that new glove when he comes to eat dinner with you?

Have a good day family.

Comments:
I was walking the mall a couple of days ago. I noticed a display of gloves in the window of a big sports store. I couldn't remember gloves being that expensive when I was a kid; none on display was less than a hundred dollars!

Nice gift. Sounds like the in-laws are one glover closer to the pearly gates! : )

Ben
 
Forget the glove deal . . . . take him over there and have him talk about that beautiful Corvette during the work ethic talk!

Hope the young man rocks some socks at short.

Peace.
 
I am ashamed to say that I used to visit my mamaw and papaw 'cause they'd buy me a tank of gas when I came to visit!!! That wasn't the only reason of course - Mamaw made THE BEST chicken stew!
 
I LOVE IT! Reminds me of two of Doris' grandsons who wanted a new Nintendo. Okay, cool. Trouble was, at the time, they lived in two different houses! They couldn't figure out how they were going to split the Nintendo's time equitably, so...........you guessed it. We sprung for TWO Nintendos! :) I can feel my halo sitting on my head right now!! :)
 
I'm with Puckett on this one. The kid should dream, and dream big.

My first glove was $9.99. I saved up for it forever. My parents paid the sales tax. What fun.
 
Personally, I am SHOCKED at the a elder abuse described in this blog!!

On another note, I've already decided to get Peanut his own Guitar Center card (connected, of course, to Josh and Heather's bank account ... a small detail yet to be worked out) so he doesn't have to come begging to me. You know me, Cec, I'll put a FIRM foot down on that tomfoolery!! :)

I'm also a bit concerned that no one else commented on this boy's love for boiled cabbage. That's just wrong on so many levels.
 
Greg, I luv ya, but you lie like a rug!! :)
 
You just can't describe the things you do and the way you feel when you have those grandbabies...

Looking forward to seeing you "whipped".!!
 
morning !

have a great day!



what is wrong with boiled cabbage , Greg? it is very good :)
 
Ben - Yes, that is sticker shock "glove style." I used to complain about Steven's Little League bats costing $100. "Them were the days" now that his High School bats cost over $300.

Puck - Interesting idea. How about with rising gas prices we go for a Hybrid?

That Girl - You gotta love mamaws and papaws. Mine used to pay me for cutting their yard with a little change and good old Coca-Cola Cake!

Judy - There is a special place in Heaven for folks like yourself and Doris.

Brady - $9.99 for a glove! Those were the days.

Greg - Sounds like you're going to enforce "Guitar Center discipline" on Jackson from the get-go. How about a bowl of boiled cabbage?

djg - "Whipped" I shall be.
 
I'm with puckett on this one.

I still have my vintage first baseman mitts (two of them) in case he gets moved to the other hot corner.
 
Cecil -

All of that sounds really expensive to me, but then I haven't had kids for a long time and none of my grandsons are into baseball.

The boiled cabbage and pinto beans sounds good. Probably all they can afford due to grandson expenses. Think about that one for a while, Greg.

Dee
 
James is still at the point where he grows so much every year, we HAVE to get him a new glove. I'm keeping mine. I've had it forever and it fits like a...well...it fits. I figure I'll buy a new one just as soon as James throws hard enough to rip the webbing in it.
 
Randy - "We be mates." I played first as well.

Dee - Good point.

Steve - That time will come sooner than you think.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?