Friday, October 26, 2007

Hitting the Wall

Have you ever had one of those weeks where you feel like you’ve “hit the wall?” “Hitting the wall” is a term used in the NBA to describe the feeling rookies get when they get to the 50th game of the year. At most in High School and College they might have played a 35 game schedule including playoffs. As these rookies get over the hump of an eighty-something game season their bodies and minds can begin to drag when they come to the realization that they’re going to play two to three seasons worth of games in one season.

My hitting the wall may be due to the recent rash of busy Saturdays coupled with teaching an extended (an extra class) day as well the activity Sundays bring. It reminds me of the time when I officiated my first basketball game with Greg. I think we were at Rockledge High School and I was both nervous and excited. In one of the first transitions down the court, I went from being the trail official to the lead official on a break-away. Now, no blog laughter from the blog gallery – I’m sure I was trying to “impress” Greg with my athleticism, grace, and devotion to the fine art of officiating basketball. I was determined to beat the boys down to the other end of the court, be in position, and make a great call! I could hear it now from the stands, “Wow, that guy is a great official!” Am I right? Come on, show me some blog love. However, despite the facts that all my “fur” was flying down the court, I had a love for the game, and I wanted to (be nice) impress Greg, I forgot one important thing.

Can you guess what it was? I’ll wait and please cover your answer.

If you thought I was having a “ball” you’re close.

Yes, I forgot about the WALL that was just a short distance past the basket. If I remember right and please forgive me if I have to struggle through my “post-traumatic wall syndrome,” any way, I believe I hit the wall at a full sprint, bounced off, went down to my rear, performed a backwards roll, and popped up to my feet. Oh, and I stuck “the landing.”

I can remember Greg’s smile as I came to the vertical position. He might have been the only one to witness me hitting the wall because after all, if the officials are doing their job they’re supposed to be somewhat “invisible.”

So, I need this “Saturday!” My only tasks – be at Carnival Cruise Lines at Port Canaveral at 11am to pick up 17 people from the Belpre Church in Ohio that will be coming off a cruise in our bus. What could go wrong?

At 5pm we’re going over to our “Deacon of Fun” (Fellowship) for a church wide “Cat Fish Fry.” Anybody want a hush-puppy?

Have a good and “wall free” weekend.


Comments:
Much blog love coming your way, but that really was a funny story. Question: Was Greg really only smiling?

Get some rest, my friend, and you have a good weekend, too.
 
I hope you didn't swallow your whistle!!

Would have loved to have been a fly...but not "on the wall". HA!
 
That brought back some memories!! I never hit the wall, but I have mowed down a line of cheerleaders a time or two, running downcourt, but looking back as the play developed. I also lost a shoe in one game and had to go without it until a whistle. I remember a friend in Alabama (where I started officiating) and I were working a game. He was under the backboard, I was officiating a freethrow when the guy in the post position just in front of him bent over and threw up all over his shoe! Ahhh ... memories.
 
I've hit a wall more than once. It doesn't even bother me anymore.
 
Enjoy the weekend. You deserve it.
 
Cecil -

I'm just now reading your Friday post and would be laughing out loud if I didn't feel so bad and if I weren't so achy all over. But that is a FUNNY story!

I'm sorry. I'm "smiling my head off" instead of laughing, but I suppose it's all the same thing, isn't it. At least when you're not well enough to laugh.

Hope you had a great weekend. So sorry I'm so late getting over here. Been really busy till I got sick.

Dee
 
Where's the video, man. That is way too funny.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?