Friday, October 05, 2007

Head Down

This week I had one of those encounters with a seventh grader that makes teaching interesting. I’m teaching a split schedule this year with three seventh grade Pre-Algebra classes and three 8th grade Algebra classes. This past week I observed one of my students in my 7th grade class put up his supplies, close his Math Book, and lay his head on his desk with 10 minutes left to go in the class. The following is the exchange I had with him:

Me: Are you done with your assignment Johnny?

Johnny: Yes.

Me: Great, I love it when a young man can finish their work in an expeditious manner. May I see it please?

Johnny: Oh, you mean my homework?

Me: No, I mean the memoir you’re writing about your encounter with the “second gunman” on the “grassy knoll.” Of course I mean your homework!

To my “un-surprise” his assignment wasn’t even close to being completed. This young man whom I’m sure will be a great leader in Congress one day, heard the instruction, practiced the instruction, but decided to take the easy way out and not complete his assignment.

All of this made me think of our Movement in light of the recent “advertisement” that appeared recently (you can see a version of it at http://www.foracappella.org/chroniclearticle.php) in the Christian Chronicle. It was signed by a bunch of men who said they fully supported a-capella music and were against instrumental music calling instrumental music a sin that could send you to Hell.

The Restoration Movement started as a “unity movement.” One of their mottos that the early Restoration Fathers felt was backed by the Bible was “Just Christians but not the only Christians.” You need only think of Jesus’ admonition to his Disciples to not stop the man who was casting out demons in the name of Jesus to see the Biblical validity of such a stance.

David Lipscomb accepted and preached in what the signers of this document would call “denominational churches” regularly. A quote by him that I used to carry around in my Bible stated that he looked forward to those opportunities and always taught “the truth in love.”

When I read of a “creedal statement” being signed by so many men of our fellowship, I can’t help but think that we are like my 7th grader in my Pre-Algebra class. We have heard and have the teachings of Jesus. We have and know how the early Restoration Fathers attempted to live out those teachings in their lives and in the lives / churches of our movement. Yet, it seems we’ve stopped early, closed our “book” or at least to the Gospels, and we’ve put our heads down.

I’m reminded that when we think our movement has made head-way to truly be the Church of CHRIST, we’re only a short distance away from putting our heads down and becoming something that I’m sure Paul would look at in astonishment.


Comments:
In all fairness to the young gentleman... it IS Algebra after all. When are you EVER gonna use Algebra? :)

What if God has Algebra on the entrance exam? I shouldn't have shut my book so early in life!!!

Seriously, we all need to continue to learn in this life - I would think the Bible would be a great book to keep open!
 
Good analogy and application. I thought I was past by embarrassed by saying what Christian group I worship with....but....
 
Any time we think we "have it," we need to open up the Book again and raise our heads up. I, too, support acapella singing in our worship services. I love it. But I'm glad you mentioned David Lipscomb and some of his actions and words. And going back to the Restoration Movement, I appreciate the courage, faith, and wisdom they exhibited. Also very important was their seeking; they left us a great legacy. But they were still only men who were seeking, just as we continue to do in 2007.
 
P.S. to THAT GIRL:

In an old movie titled "Peggy Sue Got Married," Peggy Sue went back in time to her senior year in high school. She told everybody they'd never use something, and I think it was Algebra!! :)
 
I disagree, bro. I don't think we're "only a short distance away from putting our heads down and becoming something that I’m sure Paul would look at in astonishment" ... I think as a mainstream church, we've been there a while. Fortunately, there are some congregations that aren't content to stay there. You're in one of them. I just left one of them. And as for "That Girl's" comment on Algebra - AMEN!!!
 
I believe said periodical has now decided to not run such (or any other divisive) advertisements any more.
 
Terri - It was Pre-Algebra. Don't you use Pre-Algebra everyday? Don't answer that. I remember taking a group of Middle School kids to see the Diary of Ann Frank. There is a scene in the play that takes place while the 2 families are in hiding from the NAZI's. The son of the other family asks Mr. Frank for help with his "Algebra."

My kids were astonished that "Algebra" existed "back then." I told them not only did Algebra exist "back then" but like today, kids needed help with it.

djg - I know the feeling.

Judy - good points. However, I believe that in most if not all of the churches the signees represent, David Lipscomb would be banned from their pulpits.

Greg - The fact the Chronicle decided to not allow that type of advertisement is an encouraging sign.

Randy - Kudos to them.
 
I played in the Pastors Appreciation Golf Tournament last Monday and my partner was from the Christian Church. We had two Independent Baptists with us. He and I were discussing the non-instrumental question to which the independents ask what the deal was with this belief. I responded: "I could explain it to you, but you would have to spend two months in a mental institution afterwards." I went on to seriously explain to him that cofc's aversion to music is kind of like the Baptists aversion to women leaders and preachers, of course we also have that belief in common with them.

Peace.
 
I am not a member of your denomination (I'm one of those "legalistic" "anti's")but based on what I read, your group would do alot better if you would just practice the autonomy that you proclame. Everybody tries to speak for everybody else. I read about one group of preachers signing a "unity agreement" with another denomination. If you are all autonomous, what right did they have to do that? Then I see that another group publishes an ad making the opposite stand. It seems to me that they had just as much right as the other group. Both seemed pretty divisive to me. Sorry to be so negative but that is my two cents, being on the outside looking in.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?