Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Dirty Feet

I’m teaching a Sunday School Class entitled “Vision.” My goal in the class is to come to a realization that casting a vision for ourselves and our church must involve Jesus into every aspect of our lives and the church’s life. Our very name, “Church of Christ” indicates that is a given but we know through experience that there are times when “Christ” is far away from out attitudes, debates, theological positions, and so on.

During one part of my class, we were discussing the aspect of how we can read of a direct example in Scripture but not be required to carry out the direct example but rather embody that principle in a 21st Century form. The example I used was Jesus (John 13) washing the Disciples feet.

Here we have a direct example of Jesus doing something and hanging some heavy significance to it. In John 13:1 the text states that he was now “showing them the full extent of his love.” I then asked the class, “How many of you have had your feet washed lately, by someone else than you?” Nobody raised their hand. We then went on to indicate that although we don’t wash feet to the extent or frequency that was done in the First Century, we have a powerful example that we as individuals and as a collective church are to model – serving our fellowman.

An older gentleman at this point raised his hand and said, “You didn’t ask the other part of the question? You forgot to ask how many of us have washed someone else’s feet?” He then relayed how he washes (she wasn’t in the class) his wife’s feet due to her severe back problems. As he talked he smiled and relayed how it brought them closer together. Another gentleman talked about how his Grandmother when he was a child had him wash her feet as she was unable to do so as well.

Their comments put a “face” on a class that is mostly face-less as we talk about some of these guiding principles. I felt honored by them and God that he had allowed our Sunday School Class to be a venue that gave us a window into some lives that we would have otherwise known less.

Do we have any other foot-washers out there? Have a good day family.


Comments:
So far, I haven't been called upon or needed to literally wash the feet of any of my loved ones, unless you count the little guys when bathing them. Nor have I had mine washed! I like the idea of carrying this thought into our daily lives in whatever small or large ways we can minister to each other.

.....but I HAVE always wondered about that passage and wondered why it hasn't been carried literally into our practice. :)
 
Excellent post.
Amen & Amen!
 
Have washed other's feet and have had mine washed by others. It's an incredibly humbling experience. More than that, I remember when a man w/ polio lost his wife ... for many years she helped him use the bathroom. I was the first to come by his apartment when she died ... he said, "Greg, I hate to have to ask you this, but I need some help." It was another form of washing feet and I was immensely humbled by this one because it was not a "set up" to make a point in church. It was the real thing.
 
John 13 in the shadow of the cross is so powerful. And a Christian's humble service in the shadow of the cross is often just as powerful.
 
What a wonderful story.

I too have washed and have had my feet washed. It's beyond powerful. Yet your point is well taken. We can act that out in other ways that will affect the world around us.
 
Judy - Absolutely.
preacherman - Thanks.
Greg - Good point at the end.
Brady - So true.
Steve - Agreed.
 
I digress . . .

My wife made me get a pedicure a couple of years ago. Does that count? I didn't like it. I felt very unlike a man sitting there soaking in hot water. I tried to make myself really small so that the guys passing by the window wouldn't notice me. The nice asian lady constantly chatted with a co-worker in a language I didn't understand; when they laughed I wondered if she was making fun my little piggies. My feet were just a part of her job. I'm not cut out for this metro-sexual stuff.
 
I wash my babies feet....they like it!

There are acts of service that are rewarding and humbling. We not only have to initiate them, but we have to allow them. Thanks for the reminder.
 
I quit washing feet since the FSU/Bama game!

Peace.
 
Cecil -

I didn't literally wash his feet, but was with my mom and dad for several days before he died at home and did just about everything else for him, including (like Greg) helping him use the bathroom, finally done next to his bed where we were able to get a chair potty, to be blunt.

It was a very moving experience for me because he was my dad and I was trying to be as unobstrusive and as tender as possible.

Thanks for this good post.

Cheers & Blessings to you today! Dee
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?