Monday, September 03, 2007

Genesis 22

We had the pleasure of hearing Chad speak yesterday here at Central. Chad does a great job as our “Youth Guy” but we’re also blessed that he also has the gift of preaching. He brought out a couple of points that I had never considered from the story of Abraham and Isaac that I thought I’d share with you. I’m sure you’re all familiar with this story from Gen. 22. It starts out by saying:

22:1 Now it came about after these things, that God tested Abraham, and said to him, "Abraham!" And he said, "Here I am."
22:2 And He said, "Take now your son, your only son, whom you love, Isaac, and go to the
land of Moriah; and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I will tell you."

Now as far as I’m concerned we fast forward to Abraham taking Isaac to the place that he will sacrifice him but I’ve never noticed what “old Abe” says in verse 5:

22:5 And Abraham said to his young men, "Stay here with the donkey, and I and the lad will go yonder; and we will worship and return to you."

Actually there are 2 things to notice here:

1. The translators who configured the “New American Standard” translation must have been from West Virginia, hence the use of the word “yonder.”

2. Abraham in his best rendition of “General McArthur” tells the “young men” that “we” will return.

In all my 49 years (officially by September 18th / feel free to send gifts and money) I had never noticed his statement of faith. Somehow, Abraham knows God is going to work it out. Well, maybe we shouldn’t say “somehow.” Courtesy of Chad, lets look at Hebrews 11:

1:17 By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac; and he who had received the promises was offering up his only begotten son;
11:18 it was he to whom it was said, "In Isaac your DESCENDANTS SHALL BE CALLED."
11:19 He considered that God is able to raise men even from the dead; from which he also received him back as a type.

Now that is real faith for to my knowledge, up to this point in Genesis, God hadn’t raised anyone from the dead. It seems that in a life lived by faith; Abraham considered that nothing is impossible with God. I could use some of that faith. How about you?

Have a great day family and it’s been a pleasure to blog with you in the daytime for once.


Comments:
You must have been skipping church the Sunday I preached on that in Rockledge, as I brought out those two phrases. But it's always good for anyone to bring an insight or an angle we've not considered. Keeps the Word fresh and active.
 
Glad you're learning stuff.

Do pay better attention, though, Greg sounds a little touchy. :)
 
Brady - Greg who?

Greg - You preached at the Rock?
 
Yes, in another life time. As for Brady's comment: I'M NOT TOUCHY! I'M NOT! I'M NOT!
 
Welcome back to daytime blogging . . . sorry Bayside had to put away the Cocoa Tigers on Friday night.

Happy Labor Day. I'm labored out in Palm Bay!

But Outback Steakhouse tonight made up for it.

Peace.
 
Sorry, but Labor Day means blog rest....

I heard a sermon on that same passage lately...I don't think it was by touchy Greg....
 
Keep that text in mind and then go see the picture on Brady's blog.
 
Since I have been off the airwaves for some time (old free computer died; had to get a new one!), I am not going to re-enter the door of our blog church by being anything but complimentary! I have never heard this point brought out, and it's a very special thought. Thanks for sharing. It makes me think of the 1000s of times in the OT that God and the prophets told the Israelites about the severe disasters that were going to befall them due to their disobedience. Almost in the same breath, He turns around and reassures them that He will bring them back and restore them with joy, protection, and love. What an awesome God!

I'm SO glad to be back in touch!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?