Friday, September 21, 2007

The "Garth Doctrine"

First, thanks for the kind comments and emails yesterday. I needed some “pumping up” and you guys came through for me and I appreciate it. As my “program note” said we’re now returning to our “regularly scheduled programming.” I thought since I spoke of “age” yesterday that I would push us into the weekend with the funniest incident that I’ve been associated with when it comes to “age.”

Many moons ago, before children came along; we spend a week near Traveler’s Rest, S.C. with our good friends Bob and Shelby and Bob’s brother and sister-in-law, Naomi. We stayed in an “A-frame” cabin close to the N.C. border. As with most of my get-aways (Greg – remember the week in Fall Creek Falls) rain was involved which was causing us to go stir crazy. On one particular day, Garth, Naomi, Barb, and I decide to go for a little drive around the countryside. It was around 2:00 if I remember correctly. Bob and Shelby were cooking dinner and told us not to be gone too long. The cabin did not have a phone and this was before the day of cell phones.

To make a long story short we got lost. We ended up back at the cabin somewhere around 8pm. As we drove up to the cabin, Garth – Bob’s brother was sure that Bob would be somewhat mad. Knowing Bob like I do I knew his anger would be generated out of concern. We had been gone for almost 6 hours and there was no way for Bob or Shelby to track us down or to know if we had been in an accident.

So, as we were getting out of the van Garth uttered this famous line, “I know Bob is going to be mad. I’ll take care of him.” In my heart I knew #1 was true and #2 was a major “maybe.” We walked to the back of the cabin were there was an outside porch, grill, Bob and Shelby. The conversation started off with Garth launching a pre-empted strike. Garth explained how we had gotten lost, we were sorry; we tried to get back as quick as we could, and then the second famous line of that day:

“…..and besides, I’m 37 years old and I can take care of myself.”

Bob rose from his chair with fire in his eyes and said, “Garth, you’re not 37, you’re 33 years old!” I went down to my knees first in a fit of laughter and then fear as I realized I had been allowing a man to drive me all over North and South Carolina who didn’t know where he was going and, didn’t know how old he was – by 4 years!

So today my family lets all change our age and feel free to subtract 4 years or more.

Have a good weekend from this 45 year old.


Comments:
have a great weekend from this 42 year old ;)


take care
 
That's hillarious! Needed a laugh. Thanks.
 
Oh how well I remember that as if it happened yesterday. I can still picture the cabin and being stuck there for those long hours without a vehicle or phone and thinking you guys were having fun without us while we're slaving away cooking. Garth still doesn't know how old his is to this day. Thanks for the laugh again.
Love to all
 
You have a great weekend too.

From a 39 year old who is the daughter of a 39 year old (I told my Dad he needed to at least go up to 49 before I catch him there too!)
 
Oh, I really needed that laugh! That one is priceless!

Sorry I didn't comment yesterday. I was on a day trip to see my brother in his nursing home. A cousin came down from St. Louis and met me there, along with some other family, and it was good to see them.

We all have down times, and we all need to share and whine. I've certainly done enough of it. I would be completely remiss if I didn't allude to your post of yesterday and tell you what a great guy I think you are and how glad I am that God brought us into each other's lives! Even having never met you face-to-face, I know you, Barb, and Steven as well as I know people I see every day, and I love ya. Pay no attention to that birthday number coming up. It's just a number. Christians are supposed to bear each other's burdens, and I count it a privilege to be able to offer some love and encouragement on days that you especially need that!
 
So nice to be back in my 30's again. I feel a little more energy for some reason.
 
Shelby's comment makes the story even funnier!
 
Funny, but man if I dropped my age by four years right now then definitely no one would listen to a word I have to say.
 
jel - Thanks.

Ben - I did too. Have a good one.

Shelby - That time seems like years ago. I guess it was. Remember the red bugs?

djg - thanks.

Judy - You're a sweetie. Thanks.

Steve - 30's? No fair.

Greg - I didn't realize that Garth was still "age - challenged."

cl - I don't know if that changes with age. Have a good weekend.
 
Worked all day today at the church building in a "clean-up" effort. Tough work for this preacher. So here's to you all from this 48 year old. (Or older) Whewww!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?