Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Be Very Quiet

I was reminded of one of the classic movies, "Ace Ventura - Pet Detective," this past Friday. As I walked into our kitchen from our garage, I heard a voice say, “Dad, Dad, don’t tell Mom.” I was willing to comply with this voice but I had some issues:

1. There was no discernable body with this voice.

2. The voice reminded me of the scene where Ace’s Landlord walks up behind him after Ace has tried to allude him due to being behind in the rent, and says, “V-e-n-t-u-r-aaaaa.” Ace answers, “Yes, Satan.”

I didn’t want to answer in the same way but I was clueless as to the location of this voice until the bi-fold door opened to reveal my son who was up to one of his favorite games, “Lets Scare the Mommy.” Steven has played this game since he was knee-high to a Radar O’Reilly Grape Ne-Hi. Now as he has gotten older he has perfected his art.

I assured Steven I wouldn’t give his whereabouts away to which he smiled and closed the bi-fold doors. My wife walked into the kitchen, asked me if Steven had arrived home yet, and then received the usual high-pitched yell that is Standard Procedure when we play “Let’s Scare the Mommy.”

I know there are times when this game aggravates my wife but I know it will be one of the things she will miss if Steven leaves for college next year. How about that for the question of the day – Is there something a loved one (yes Greg, you can include Chipper) does that drives you crazy and yet you know you would miss it if said loved one stopped doing the annoying act or moved away?

Names will be changed to protect the innocent should someone need blog (does that even exist?) anonymity.


Comments:
Son 2 has moved away. I think I miss him always being right…

As for someone jumping out and scaring me, not my cup of tea…
 
I miss my Dad's little saying,

like ( it aint nature) or ( don't get nerves call all service )
and when we would tell him, that we loved him, his line would bee (that's what they all say)

and like brady said, I don't like someone junping out and scaring me,
I jumpie as it is! ;)

anyway have a good day!
 
What a funny story! :)

This really isn't a good topic for me to try and comment on, as I will get all maudlin' and melancholy and spoil the effect of the amusement of "Let's Scare the Mommy!" But I guess if I had to pick one thing I miss about someone I love being gone, their smile would be right up there at the top. And since this person is gone, I can't think of anything that drove me crazy that I wouldn't like to have back.

See what I mean? Just ignore me, and I'll retreat into my blog corner, since I didn't really answer your question at all! :)
 
In our house "Let's scare Mommy" went away with Mommy's concealed weapons permit! Only kidding, of course.

I think with our one daughter, it will be her burping, albeit not as good as Queen Brenda O.

Peace.
 
My son was the master channel surfer...and my daughter liked to sit up and watch Law and Order. When she left home to get married I could hardly sleep without the Du-dum, Du-Dum....

But I wouldn't say I have been missing it Bob!
 
The jump-out-and-scare was a standard in the house in which I grew up. The only thing better was the stand-outside-the-door and scare which was my personal favorite. It got so bad for a while that nobody went to the bathroom if anybody else was home.

I only did it to my wife once though. I was warned that the rest of my life would be rather humdrum (if you get my drift) if I ever did it again. So I limit my need to scare to my son, who hates it too, but is mine to do with as I please.
 
Brady - I have one of those sons as well.

jel - Thanks for sharing.

Judy - Its O.K.

Puck - Yes, no one, no one can out burp Brenda (yes guys, she's a lady) O.

djg - "Surfing" must be in our (guys) genes.

Steve - Yes, I do get your "cold" drift and I'll pray for your son.
 
When we lived amongst you, how many times did one of my grandparents die on April 1 and you fell for it?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?