Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Zen Student

Having taught school for over 27 years has giving me some interesting stories and experiences when it comes to my day to day dealings with middle school students. I remember the first time I issued a class set of calculators back in the 80’s. I was pontificating on the “do’s and don’ts” of handling these new fangled calculators to a particular class. Of course being the dramatic guy that I am I was adding in a bit of “Drill Sergeant” routine to my speech or basically threatening to take their first born child if they damaged the calculator. I ended my oratory with the following question:

“Is there anyone who believes they will not be able to follow these rules and “regs” of calculator care as I have brilliantly and eloquently explained them?”

Of course I’m expecting no hands after my thunderous “drill and kill” speech but at the time I didn’t know Harold. Harold was a 7th grader in my class who was a pre-cursor to “Forest Gump.” Harold with all the honesty of his simple mind raised his hand. When I asked Harold what he wanted he said, “Mr. Walker, don’t give me one of those things because I won’t be able to handle it without breaking it. It’s just too tempting.” You have to love honesty.

Then there was my “Zen student” who I met yesterday. I had just finished explaining the format I wanted assignments done in which included how to head their papers and show their work. My conversation with Susan went something like this:

Susan: “Mr. Walker, do I have to follow that confusing format you just laid out?

Me: “Why wouldn’t you?”

Susan: “’I’m not supposed to be here. I’m supposed to be at DeLaura (a middle school in Satellite Beach) Middle School.”

Me: So my Zen student, what you’re telling me is that although you’re here physically, you’re really in a Zen state of mind which puts you approximately 15 miles south of our current location. After carefully considering your request for several seconds the answer is, “No.”

For some reason I had a “Private Benjamin” flashback when “Judy” tells her D.I. that she signed with the Army that had curtains on the windows.

I must go and meditate before I head off to school. Have a good day everyone.


Comments:
I think I may be a Zen employee. It is so rare that my mind and body get in the same place. It's even more rare for my keys to be in the same place as my mind and body!
 
I have many Zen moments these days. I just did not know what they were. Thanks for the insight. Now I know that I am not crazy, or maybe that I am crazy, or maybe my craziness is just in another location... Boy this tired me out!
 
Zen student, hunh? How funny.

Sounds like you handled the situation really well, Cecil. In a down to earth and funny (I think), yet appropriate, way.

Have you ever read "Zen, and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?" I've read it twice and it's a great book. I loved it. I read it back in the 70s, of course, when it came out and then again a good many years later, but still liked it a lot.

You might try it if you're going to have Miss Zen all semester. You may need the insights!

Cheers! & Blessings to you all today! Dee

of Finding Direction: The Wind Vane Chronicles
 
The most disturbing part of that post was the "3:16 am" at the bottom. I know you're 3 hours ahead but that's STILL too early for typing!
 
I loved Private Benjamin...

How many times do we think we have signed up for something that gets to be entirely different from the reality? something like school?
 
that girl - But if you're into a Zen then you and your keys can always be one on a higher plane.

jordan - A "Forest Gump" Zen would say, "Crazy is as crazy does."

Dee - I've heard of that book but never read it or at least "physically" read it.

Steve - I have been reduced to an "A.M. blogger" thanks to our new District filter.

djg - Happens to me all the time.
 
Be careful about your Karma - you might come back as a flea on a goat. Then you will wish you were a little more understanding.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?