Friday, August 24, 2007

flashback

Good news – I had no trouble sleeping last night. In fact I must have been in a really good mood while I was asleep. Barb told me this morning that I woke her up in the middle of the night, humming. She said she couldn’t tell what song I was singing but it seemed to be a “happy song.” There you have it “sleep fans,” some people walk or grind their teeth when they sleep but me, I hum. Does that make me a (rim shot please) “hummer?”

I had a good reason to sleep last night, I was tired and I mean physically tired. For the 2nd day in a row I ran or as my son would say, speed walked 2 and half miles. The route I run is just down by our church along the “River Road” that follows the Indian River. Not only was this physically demanding because I’m old, fat, out of shape, and it was close to 90 degrees. I had to carry on a couple of conversations on my cell phone.

About a mile into my run Steven called on the way home from his guitar lessons. He wanted to know if I would meet him at the Little League Field to throw some BP (batting practice) to him. In between gasps I initially told him, “No.” When I got to my turnaround spot I guess the heat was getting to me so I changed my mind. I called him back (now going uphill and tired) and in between more gasps I told him to meet me at church. I could tell he was happy and I was happy as well because I was tired of talking and running at the same time.

Steven told me he was close to the church so he was going to meet me and run the last little bit with me. As I started to climb the last hill on the road that leads to our church he met me. Lately he has been calling me “Pops” and that was the word he used to “encourage” me as I sprinted towards the tree in our parking lot that marked my finish line. I couldn’t help but think how many times were left in which he and I would run together.

We arrived at our Little League Fields to a light drizzle. I could tell Steven was thinking I was going to back out but I told him, “Come on, I’m wet from sweat and it’s time to face the “West Cocoa Heater.” That comment brought both a smile and a roll of the eyes from him. It has been a long time since I threw BP and with 5 miles on my legs in 2 days it took a half bucket of balls to dial in the strike zone.

There were a group of kids with some coaches on the Major Field across from us. At one point Steven and me both watched as they took some infield. I know he was having a flashback moment as I was as well. We spent a lot of time on that field. We spent another fleeting moment together on the Senior Field and for a few moments, I was his Coach again. When we walked off the field he thanked me for taking the time to throw to him. I told him he was more than welcomed but I really thing I had more “thankfulness” in my (as well as a few tears right now) heart for God had given me one more moment with my son.

You guys have a good weekend.


Comments:
Continue to enjoy those moments as God blesses you. But as one who was in your son's position just a few years ago, I can say that it means just as much to him. These are moments that he will carry with him for the rest of his life. They will give him strength in times of trial and they will give him the tools he needs to be a great dad himself.
Oh, and keep up the running, it's good for both of your hearts, the physical and the spiritual.
 
There's little chance that James will love baseball as much as me, but there is every chance that he will be able to play it much better. He has a more athletic body than I ever did and I hope, hope, hope, that he wants to play baseball.

I've thrown my share of bp. It'll take me a while to dial in as well, but the thought of throwing it to my son gives me chills.
 
Great...now I have tears in my eyes too!

David has just starting playing softball with my son now that he is 26. It is not that he has not always wanted to play but Derek had no interest in stick-ball after T-ball.... until this year. If is going to be fun to watch them play together.
 
It may take you all weekend just to catch your breath!
 
Honestly, don't overdo the runs. I only run 3 times a week, and Wife does the same, and she's been running for 30 years.

It protects from injury, which is your biggest enemy right now, believe it or not.

I know you're enjoying your son. SOOOOO good.
 
Jordan - You don't know how much your comment means to me. Thanks Bro.

Steve - There's nothing better that is, if I could just find the ice.

djg - It can be some of the best times of life.

Greg - No doubt. I had several people say, "You look tired today."

Brady - Thanks for the advice. I'm going to take it.
 
Awesome! I love to recall the good times with Hayden, they are so sweet. I know it is the same for you.
 
As my tears well up, I can see so many flashes in my mind. I have pictures on my computer of Brandon on the field. As my screen saver flashes them across the screen, I'm reminded of all of the great times we had together as coach and player--father and son on a baseball field. He played for me from the time he was three until he started school ball. It just doesn't seem the same. i still love to watch him play, but those coaches have not the talent nor the relationship to do what we've done together for many years.

Thanks Cecil for taking me back through memory lane.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?