Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Cool Conversation

For the first time in months we went out to a Cracker Barrel restaurant last night. My wife had that “first day in Kindergarten” look on her face so I knew the ringing of the dinner bell would coincide with putting the key in the ignition of our car. Joining us on our trek to CB was one of our missionaries, Phil, who spent the previous year in Siberia. Phil has decided to stay with us and help our College Ministry continue.

As the 4 of us sat around the table I noticed that Phil had brought his Bible. I must say that I’ve never brought my Bible out to dinner but I wish I had. When my son saw Phil’s Bible he was the first to turn the conversation to Scripture. I was so proud (seems to be the theme of the week) of him when he said, “Let me show you my favorite Bible verse.” He turned to Jeremiah 20:

Jeremiah 20:9 But if I say, "I will not remember Him Or speak anymore in His name," Then in my heart it becomes like a burning fire Shut up in my bones; And I am weary of holding it in, And I cannot endure it.”

If you consider all Jeremiah had been through at the hands of Pashhur it even becomes a more powerful statement. When I consider the world of teens today and the pressures and temptations they face I have to give my praise to God for being there for my son, encouraging him to live a life of faith.

Have you ever gone out to dinner and spoke of spiritual things? I think it was a first for me and hopefully not the last time. BTW – The chocolate cobbler was outstanding!


Comments:
It is not uncommon at all to see people at restaurants around here with a bible. Lots of breakfast bible studies going on, I've noticed. And yes, to see our children embracing the faith ... it doesn't get any better than that. We give our lives in prayer to this reality and when they respond to God's grace ... WOW!
 
Our preacher is in a series based on that passage "Hearts on Fire: We Will Not Be Silent!" Awesome stuff!
 
How has an OT buff like me missed such a powerful verse??!?

Give Steven my thanks. I'm sharing that in class tomorrow night.
 
Especially in light of all the other things we are willing to talk about.

I wish we had CB!
 
Good post, Cecil.

I'm proud of your son, too!

As far as having spiritual discussions when out to dinner - Tom & I are as likely to be doing that as any other conversation we have. We talk about spiritual things everywhere. At home, in the car, when we used to go out sailing.

Hope you keep them up. You'll be glad you did.

Cheers & Blessings! Dee
 
Greg - I agree. When I see Steven putting his faith into practice I get really good vibes.

Jordan - Sounds good. We had a camp theme one year based on that verse.

Steve - I'll pass on the West Coast props.

Randy - If I see you at Pepperdine this coming year I'm going to have to bring some Sonny's and CB veggies.

Dee - Thanks. Barb and I when we're alone we do the same thing.
 
In Alabama, dinner is a spiritual experience! And with cobbler how could it not be.

My pastor buddy in Melbourne is a lot like Phil . . always turning the conversation to spiritual things . . . I think he is trying to convert me.

I love that verse though.

Peace.
 
Dinner is a great time for spiritual talks. The food doesn't always match the talk but it is sometimes the only time I get to sit alone with another person and have no distractions. In Atlanta earlier this year, Keith and I were praying before our meal in the food court and a lady had been watching us. She could hardly wait until the 'amen' to rush over to us and brag on our public prayer. That was a little weird!
 
I'm going after that verse in my Bible with a highlighter and two colors of ink.

How is it I've missed that verse? Also - *chocolate* *cobbler*? (brain explodes)
 
Definately one of my favorite passages in the Bible. Great post. May we all have that fire within us to share th good news and not be silent. Keep up the great posts!
 
I love this passage, sounds like a great kid! I try to spend my time preparing my sermons in public places to try and get in as many "spiritual conversations" a possible. It's so much fun.
 
Puck - Sounds like you've got a good friend.

that girl - Good point and that was weird.

wendy - I did the same thing in my Bible. Chocolate cobbler is the best.

preacherman - Thanks Brother. Since my son shared it with me it's become one of my favorite as well.

cl - Thanks and your sermon prep idea sounds interesting. Does anyone ever come forward in public?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?