Monday, August 06, 2007

Buried in Treasure

If you want a powerful and emotional picture of the church being Jesus to one of it’s own, please visit Jordan’s Blog at http://jordansjotsntexas.blogspot.com/

It brought me to tears. God bless Jordan, his sister, his family, and this church.

Most of today’s post comes courtesy of our preacher, Don and his sermon from yesterday. It was one of the best I’ve ever heard.

There’s a set of verses in Matthew 6 that most of us are familiar with:

Matthew
6:19

19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”

Now I suppose that all fellowships have their pet issue that they “like” to discuss and debate and there are times in my experience that these issues can be linked to being “Heaven and Hell” issues. I know of a local preacher that would probably say that someone “clapping” in a worship assembly could be condemning their soul to Hell. I think most of us would find that position both silly and unbiblical. I believe that Jesus in the above passage is discussing something that He believes to be in the “Heaven and Hell” category.

Don made a great point yesterday when he said if you want to see where someone’s heart is (as in verse 21) then all you need do is look at their checkbook or bank statement. Many of us including yours truly have done some creative financing to buy something that we truly wanted, our heart’s desire if you will. How many of us have done some of the same kind of creative financing to help a missionary or help fund a ministry. This point really hit me hard. I loved and hated Don’s illustration.

Don spoke of taking his Grand-daughter out for lunch to McDonald’s when she was 4. He bought her a Happy Meal and she was busily enjoying the cheeseburger and fries. Don decided to try one of Ashley’s fries and as he was pulling the fry from the bag Ashley quickly said, “Paw-paw, those are “my” fries! Don said he looked at her and thought for a moment, “Well you little bird – your fries! Do you now know that I could walk over to the counter and buy enough fries to bury you in and then some!”

The point – Does God ever think that about us when we say to him, “These are my things, my blessing, and my money! “I” don’t have enough to give anything back to you!” Now granted, we are all at different points along the “financial continuum” but wherever we are in life there are two things that are perfectly clear:

1. Again from Don – I’ve never seen a Hearst (or whatever vehicle the England Family Mortuary drives to Cemeteries) hauling a U-Haul behind it.

2. Everything we have comes from the Father.

I would not label Don’s fine sermon or this post about giving. Rather, it is about the heart for where I find my treasures, you’ll find my heart.

Have a good day family.


Comments:
I think this hits close to home for all of us. Now, let me go do something with "my" stuff.
 
I remember preaching a similar sermon (didn't use the illustration about his granddaughter, though, but I might have had it been available to me!) and saying we can tell the heart of a person by looking at the checkbook, calendar, and something else that started with a "C" that, for the life of me, I can no longer remember. We do advertise our priorities by how we spend our time and money, though. Tell Don he needs to get back to safe preaching and leave the money meddlin' alone!
 
greg,
sounds like a great sermon.
I really enjoyed reading your blog. I am looking forward to reading more. Keep up the great work brother. God bless.
 
I read about a biographer that said he didn't really discover who his subject was until he ran across his subjects checkbook.
 
came over to say hi, and ya go stepping on my toes! ( just kiddin)

bet that was a very good sermon !


how has your summer been , has your school year started back let?
 
the journey - I know what you mean.

Greg - Could it have been "Cell phone?" I haven't heard the term "meddlin" since a Great Uncle of mine used it when referring to preachers who preached against smoking. He was a "smoking preacher" from Kentucky.

preacherman - Thanks for stopping by.

Brady - I agree. Have you recovered from Camp?

jel - Good to see you again. This has been a great summer with our "new" Bible Camp, our trip to the Mid-Ohio Valley Workcamp, and the AVID (educational) Conference in Atlanta that I was able to attend. Teachers report back to school this coming Monday. Thanks for asking and stopping by.
 
One interesting thing that I did and I'm sure a bit aggravating to the church family was have one of our deacons do a rough estimate of the value of the cars in our church parking lot to be used as an illustration for a stewardship sermon. That's an eye opener in itself.

I really like Brooks and Dunn's "Believe" for the reasons you've described here. "There's got to be more to this life than a slow ride in a hearse." It's more about relationships and giving of ourselves and aligning our hearts with God than it is about material things.

BTW, on a more spiritual topic, can I borrow $350 for a new driver?

Peace
 
Ouch! Sounds like uncomfortable truth.
 
Sounds like you are blessed to have a preacher who tells it like it is when the need is there. Thanks for sharing, it was good for me as well.
 
Puck- $350 for a new driver? You obviously do not buy your clubs from Wal-Mart. BTW - Thanks for the golf invite. I'll call you back.

Ben - One of my fellow elders told Don that his skin, hair, and even toes were bleeding after that sermon.

Jordan - We are and thanks for coming by again.
 
hope ya have a great school year!
 
Greg- maybe it was "computer".

Cecil- I love a sermon that makes me think....even when it makes me think less of myself.
 
Thank you very much for the link. I have saved it.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine
 
We have more conviniences and less time to do what it is we need to do. Priorities!!
 
Hello.
I think this might be my first comment on your blog. Thanks for all your faithful years of reading and all the comments you've left.
Blessings!
Laura S.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?