Monday, August 13, 2007

Back in the Saddle (Kind of)

Well work fans, this old West Cocoa boy is back in the saddle again or at least it's a preview. Today teachers report back to school all over the State of Florida to complete an exercise called "Pre-Planning Week." "PPW" I'm sure was intended for teachers to have a designated time before students reported to the building in which to get their rooms ready and to plan for the coming year. As I start my 27th year it has been my experience that very little of the latter (..."plan for the coming year.") happens.


Yes, in this age of "educational accountability" and "NCLB" (No Child Left Behind) most of PPW are spent in meetings going over test scores, talking about how we're going to improve test scores, and looking at all the latest Federal and State mandates which in up doing what any governmental mandates do, generate mega-amounts of paperwork which take away from planning for actual teaching.

Now, lest I make out PPW to be a total negative experience there are some upsides. Some of those positives include reconnecting with our staff and catching a vision of what I can do for my students to lead them into academic as well as (what I’ll call) “maturing successes.” Do you remember your middle school or Jr. High days? I remember being somewhat concerned about my general safety as well as my potential for social success as I entered what we called then, Jr. High. This little dynamic hasn’t changed for the middle school students of the new millennium have the same fears and concerns. I just pray that beyond test scores that my students can walk away from my Math Classes and if nothing else, can have happy memories about their experience.

BTW – most teachers feel like when there are no kids in the building it still feels somewhat like a vacation. I once had a Principal who said about our brand new facility, “This school is nothing more than a glorified Office Building until students enter the school and then they with teachers transform this Office Building into a school.”

Are not our church buildings somewhat the same? Have you walked inside your church building (or as Greg’s wife Jan would say – the “church house”) when people were not in it? Did you get the sense that your facility was a “church?” Dumb question huh? Just like our schools, our church buildings are nothing more than buildings until you put people in them who have tried to live a life of faith during the week. Like my students the members of our churches come at different points of success on the faith walks. Like my students some come to church for different reasons. Some love being with their church family, others are just starting their journey of faith, and some have been “made” to show up. But just like my school when you take this strange mix and throw it all together in our church buildings for a few moments, the church resides together under one structure.

Have a happy Monday family.


Comments:
I said this to ya on your last post this morning,

but will say again ,


have a blessed day! :)
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
My wife had "PPW" two weeks ago, we are on a little different school schedule in these parts, she gets a week of next month though - actually all the breaks are nice.
I have felt what you say about the church buildings - I can see why people get in such a tizzy about changing anything in the "church" which is why I think all churched should have to meet somewhere mobile and never have a permanent home, well sorta. In any case, whatever it takes to get people thinking that they are the church and what happens in the church is what happens in their lives. Have a good week!
 
Have a fun day. I was so miserable when I started Junior High... I can't imagine having to be there again! I was scared to death of not having friends.
 
I spent my entire Junior High career avoiding restrooms and trying to grow so I would weigh over 100 pounds.
 
Good thoughts, have a great first week!
 
I opened the year with prayer this morning for Bayside High. We had our breakfast at Beef O'Brady's. I stood in a chair so everybody could see me as I lead the prayer. Tuttle said I looked like I was ready to give the sermon on the mount.

May God bless your new school year as you touch the future.

Peace.
 
It's very hard for me to read these words, my math brother. Mostly, of course, because it's MY turn on Wednesday. It really makes today and tomorrow special.

It's the same on this coast, by the way. We will spend three solid days accomplishing absolutely nothing, while I sit on my laptop, surreptitiously making lesson plans and wondering when I can dart away to start getting my room ready.

Meetings. Ugh.
 
Good luck with school this year, Cecil. And don't get too upset and discouraged by the pre-planning days. These, too, shall pass . . .

Cheers!

Dee
 
jel - thanks

cl - Sounds like your wife is on a "Year-round Schedule." I'm convinced that Jesus' words in John 4:21 (21 Jesus declared, "Believe me, woman, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem.") have the same impact for us today as they would have 2000 years ago. "Worship" should be so encompassing in our lives that you cannot confine it to a specific time or place.

that girl - That fear still continues today.

Brady - Sounds like we went to similar Jr. Highs. I don't think I used the restroom at school in Jr. High even once.

Jordan - thanks.

Puck - Thanks and although my play was horrible I enjoyed myself Saturday. As they say, a bad day at the golf course is better than any day at work.

Steve - Sorry to ruin your last couple of days but it is good to now that the "Central Cal." experience is the same as it is here in beautiful East Central Florida.

Dee - Thanks. Are you referring to retirement by the way?
 
Having finally entered the real working place, it's amazing just how much I actually am able to sympathize with you this year!!
 
Starting school again always reminds me again that "life is a vapor." It's so hard to believe that my kids will finish their first full week of school this Friday. Time sure flies when you kids are groing up.

May the Lord bless your school year brother.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?